Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The costs of appeals

The costs of appeals

Have noticed this asked in the past as to how much an appeal in crown Court against Firearms Licensing decisions would be. Have just had to drop mine as have been informed that the cost is going to be at least 8,000 and possibly 10,000 or more.

It appears the justice system is only available to those with deep pockets or on legal aid. For appeals firearms related legal Aid is not available it seems and as we don't have deep pockets that's that.

Is this from when they lost your guns?
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Quote Originally Posted by Si View Post
    Is this from when they lost your guns?

Oh they eventually "Found" them.. it took a while to gather them up as it seems they were not all together. As yet I have not been allowed access to inspect them for any damage which is rather suspicious in my view but yes it's to do with that. The guns have been several months now at an RFD's the very one I suggested we call to come and collect them that evening but it was not acceptable to the Police officers then for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Have noticed this asked in the past as to how much an appeal in crown Court against Firearms Licensing decisions would be. Have just had to drop mine as have been informed that the cost is going to be at least 8,000 and possibly 10,000 or more.

It appears the justice system is only available to those with deep pockets or on legal aid. For appeals firearms related legal Aid is not available it seems and as we don't have deep pockets that's that.
    join sacs

what happen now is that your fac gone and do you get any of your shooting gear thats not on your cert returned

If I was in you're position and felt I had been wronged with the value of gear that the powers that be have I'd be getting a lone and taking them on. I took a lone out for more than this to sort out some building work that needed done. If something needs done, get it done unless there's no point in it?

I think at 8-10K I'd take them head on, I'd struggle to pay that but hell I could not imagine loosing my shooting. As long as you are not a danger to the public then I cannot see how they could win an appeal. At the end of the day it's your sutibility to hold firearms that is the issue therefore if you are most definiletly sutible you should be on to a winner. Is it not possible to represent yourself? Maybe the Citizens Advise could point you in the right direction?

I dare say this but what about BASC? N.B. That's not an invitation for more BASC bashing.

Hypothetically, had I ever had an appeal in court it would have cost me 1.5k, including solicitors, and a barrister for the day in court. But I would have won

Had I lost I guess it would have been a little over double that.

Try a chap called Adrian Dagger, he was cracking, and easily worth the money. Giving me his number was the only help I had from BASC.

P.S. If you do it, don't do it without the Barrister!!

Easy for me to say this, BUT, if you had engaged a legal type who was fairly confident of some sucsess against them, I wager they would withdraw.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Brithunter

I don't know the cost of appeals sorry , but if your right go for it , scrimp save get the money and take them on.

what was the original reason the guns were taken in the first place ?