Thread: >243 Ackley problems.

>243 Ackley problems.

A friend has a Sako 75 barrelled for .243 Ackley Improved and has trouble getting the cartridges to chamber correctly, possibly due to the steep shoulder on the case. A single round will chamber OK, but any more rounds in the mag and they will not load correctly. Anyone else had similar problems and can anyone suggest a solution?
    Last edited by Rack; 13-10-2011 at 14:41.

Rack

Take the rilfe back to the man who rechambered it and ask him to fix it.

Regards JCS

Rack,

you need to specify what 'not load correctly' means. ie. was a new mag installed, is the spring too tight so that it traps the rounds or forces the bullet end up at an angle when chambering...sounds like it might be a feeding problem rather than an 'AI' associated problem, but that's occurred due to the re-chambering/re-barrelling...

what do I know...just coming up with ideas what it could be, don't hold me to it.

It is an "AI" problem. The square shouldered cases aren't suited for his magazine/ rifle. Take it back the maker and ask him to fix it.~Muir

It's quite amazing how many people think that just a re-chamber is the end of the job. The amount I have heard of that the feeding has not been checked. The first thing I did after chambering the 7x64 barrel to 280 AI and fitting it to the action was load up three cartridges with fire forming loads fire them then size the fired cases and seated bullets into the sized cases and checked the feeding from the magazine.

I doubt many "gunsmiths" do this. I believe if I remember correctly Norma Clark returned my Century Arms P-14 sporter with a couple of fired cases after he chambered it to 303 IMP that one too feeds from the magazine with not problems.

i use to go shooting with a lad every so often. that had a 22/250 ai on a sako 75 action. and that use to feed fine from the mag.

Typical AI issue.

Some makers actions work well, others dont feed well at all.

It can be a relativley easy fix (in the case of BDL type mags, altering the follower angle and spring) or Accuracy International mags - alter the feed lips,

Not so easy for Tikka - a once only feed ramp angle change - not recomended.....

I single feed my own Tikka, I dont want to restrict it to being an AI all its life...

If its ajustable - sort it.

If its a change to the feed ranp angle,,,,,think twice.

Oh,,

one would expect this issue to have been mentioned at time of order or at least checked before delivery........

I have a .280AI on a sako 75 action it will feed three rounds from an open, fully rear bolt. If the bolt is closed it will only feed when there is 2 rounds in the mag. I found that the bolt lug was catching on the steep shoulder of the case. If it had been a remington type bolt there wouldn't be a problem. It will feed 5 rounds of standard .280 without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    It's quite amazing how many people think that just a re-chamber is the end of the job. The amount I have heard of that the feeding has not been checked. The first thing I did after chambering the 7x64 barrel to 280 AI and fitting it to the action was load up three cartridges with fire forming loads fire them then size the fired cases and seated bullets into the sized cases and checked the feeding from the magazine.

I doubt many "gunsmiths" do this. I believe if I remember correctly Norma Clark returned my Century Arms P-14 sporter with a couple of fired cases after he chambered it to 303 IMP that one too feeds from the magazine with not problems.
    I built a 45-90 on a #4 Lee Enfield action once. The barrel work took a day, the magazine took a week!~Muir