Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fixed mag scopes ?

fixed mag scopes ?

hi guys i have just got a fixed mag 6x42 s&b scope for my tikka m695 in 270
    and zeroed it today.

i reload for my rifles. but at this time haven't got round to reloading for this 270
    as of yet due to other things. but today zeroed using some factory 130 grain federal soft points.

it was grouping around 1 inch to 1 and 1/4. and now I know that would be a dead deer
    and I am sure it will shrink when I get round to reloading for it.

but I did find having a fixed MAG scope at 100 yards it seams a bit weird
    and looks so far away. as my other scopes are set on around 10 to 12 max.

what targets do you use on yours for a fixed mag scope ? just stick a bigger target dot up ? i don't think the n04 cross hair helps as it is fairly thick
    Last edited by jay 22; 13-10-2011 at 17:45.

Quote Originally Posted by jay 22 View Post
    hi guys i have just got a fixed mag 6x42 s&b scope for my tikka m695 in 270
    and zeroed it today.

i reload for my rifles. but at this time haven't got round to reloading for this 270
    as of yet due to other things. but today zeroed using some factory 130 grain federal soft points.

it was grouping around 1 inch to 1 and 1/4. and now I know that would be a dead deer
    and I am sure it will shrink when I get round to reloading for it.

but I did find having a fixed MAG scope at 100 yards it seams a bit weird
    and looks so far away. as my other scopes are set on around 10 to 12 max.

what targets do you use on yours for a fixed mag scope ? just stick a bigger target dot up ? i don't think the n04 cross hair helps as it is fairly thick
    I use this one, at 100yrds the hairs of the S&B 6x42 sit nicely in the gaps
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Scope Target Med G.pdf  
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I frequently use the same scope as you (6x42 S&B) and think extraordinarily highly of it for its price to be honest,,, but that's a different story.

I use the target that JCS attached once, can't find it as I've managed to erase my hard-drive, but maybe if he's reading this he'll re-attach it out of kindness and consideration. I find it excellent for working up loads and it works really well as a diamond shape with the vertical and horizontal x-hairs on the scope.

Basically, use a target that is appropriate for the reticle and magnification.
    As a guide, Hunter benchrest class is shot with 6x scopes at 100, 200 and 300 yards
    This is the 100 yard target (centre the crosshair in the black box)
    This is the 200 yard target

cheers lads for the reply's. I am sure I will get use to it with a bit more practice and some of the targets you have put in the posts.

i would like a 2.5x10x44 or 50 scope or even a 3x12x50. but to get a s&b,swaro or zeiss with these mag ranges really bumps the prices up.

i could get a cheaper scope for what I paid for this 6x42 s&b but they wouldnt have its class of optics

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    ..I use the target that JCS attached once, ...
    I have a number of targets available (that can be edited) and if you PM me an e-Mail address I will send some back. Regards JCS

Jay

I have an expensive S&B variable on one rifle and a fixed 8X56 Swarvo on another, what I did was fit Weaver bases to my rifle I then brought a cheap 6-24X50, OK it can’t compete with the Swarvo at low light and the glass is shown wanting above 20 power but it is fine for doing load development in day light. Once I have developed my load the standard fix power goes back on. A lot cheaper than buying another very expensive variable scope which in reality sits on 7 power for 95% of deer I shoot.

ATB

Tahr

Hallo mate,
    I've got a 6x42 with a fence post reticle on my .270 Because of the shortcomings of a fixed power scope that you've already mentioned i don't even bother measuring group sizes. I just shoot at "Things" like apples that've started going off in the fruit bowl at home or tennis balls for example. Dot a few around on the back stop if you have a range set up, then just shoot them. There's nothing better for confidence building than seeing 5 manky apples pop at your command. I've seen mates talking about sub moa groups who sometimes struggle to hit a little apple at 100! But it's so much more pleasing when you do than just putting holes in paper.

I'm not a reloader so naturally I'm not massively concerned about the ammunition i use past whether i can hit a 2" apple with it or not. But i fully understand that re-loaders want their loads/rifles to shoot the best that they can, and there's no better way of checking that than to see how small a group you can make. So if it's tiny groups on paper you want, change the scope, but if you just want to shoot a few deer, practice on a few apples or summat
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails After Black Shadow.jpg  

+ 1 digger i use 8x56 seems fine to me have tryed all the others but keep returning to my trusty 8x56 swaro
    Save Water Drink Single Malt

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Target.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	44.0 KB 
ID:	9707

This is the target we use to zero etc, very easy to use, just cover the 4 black boxes with your reticle and pull the trigger, doesn't get any easier. Have never seen the point in 'box' type targets when a diamond is a far superior shape for zeroing.

Tom