Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Introducing 'Wallow Cam'

Introducing 'Wallow Cam'

Hi all,

A couple of years ago I got myself a trail cam and despite a couple of early lack luster attempts at using it, enthusiasm wained and it has spent the last year in a cuboard. This year I thought I would use it on a small sika wallow I know of on my ground to try and see what deer were visiting the wallow and when. I didnt know what to expect by way of results, however as my ground is not 'core territory' for sika, it doesnt have very meny animals on it at any one time and the few wallows that are around only seem to get light use.

Here is the first picture of the wallow in daylight (taken by the trail cam,so presumably a bird flew past to trigger the PIR sensor?)

First Picture with a deer on it. Notice the times at the bottom of the photographs

A pricket having a sniff around during the night..........

Now this is a bit more like it.

Pricket again - also visiting in the dead of night. Not sure if the deer here in my wood are resident, or just visting as they are ranging through the forest visiting wallows on an occasional basis ? If they are resident then they hide themselves away in the thickets pretty well

Here is the best deer so far, a nice eight pointer. sadly the camera threw a wobbly and the image went into 'white out' mode, so the picture was ruined. There is blurb in the instructions about 'white out' images being caused by the setting sun overwhelming the sensor etc. Course it had to happen on the eight pointer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakey View Post
    Here is the best deer so far, a nice eight pointer. sadly the camera threw a wobbly and the image went into 'white out' mode, so the picture was ruined. There is blurb in the instructions about 'white out' images being caused by the setting sun overwhelming the sensor etc. Course it had to happen on the eight pointer.

Could be one of those glowing deer from Harry Potter? Good snaps mate, keep them coming. Like these trail cam threads.

Here is a shot in daylight for a change. A six pointer visiting the wallow in legal shooting time - now thats more like it

And here is a 'decorated ' stag with mud adorned antlers - again at night ( visiting the night before)

nice one Lakey ive only just got back from Ireland chassing those Beast's but you pic's still make me Jelouse Hope to see a Pic of one you have culled

I was out guiding for a friend of mine last night and my continental hunter shot an awesome malformed stag with me.Sika dont throw strange heads that often, so malforms are uncommon at the best of times. we called the stag in with a triple whistle and the client shot it at 60 metres. A total one off -Old as the hills !!

Am out again tomorrow night with a member of SD, so I'll let you know if we get lucky