Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wild pigs in Sussex

Post Wild pigs in Sussex

Had a phone call yesterday morning from an old sheep shearing mate who often gets out for a pig or two, He phoned to ask if I was keen to go and have a look with him on some ground that was being ploughed up by pigs so I had to stop and think for about 1 second and said yes.
    We arranged to meet just before dark and then headed out to the spot looking out across a field towards the wood that the pigs were living in. We only had to wait about 15 mins before we could see movment in the moon light with a quick look through the night vision and I was seeing my first wild pigs. There was 6 or 7 playing around all about the same size litter mates I would think, one of them offered a clean shot to the shoulder and I took it and down it went! before they all ran we managed another 2 shots with 2 more dead pigs ! To say I was a happy boy would be a understatment. We waited a while just incase any others wanted to show them selves but nothing showed so went to collect our pigs , they were all young animals so should be good eating I am looking forward to getting them cut up and trying some I might even have a go at making some sausages.
    I know some may say that using night vision on them is not that sporting but when you see the damage that they do you can understand that they need to be thined out a bit and it seems the best way of doing so !
    I only had my phone with me so don't have any good photos might have another go with camera when I butcher them up.

dose he have any sort of cull plan (eg just males) or is it just shoot as manys as you can

Quote Originally Posted by boar & deer View Post
    dose he have any sort of cull plan (eg just males) or is it just shoot as manys as you can
    Not a case of shooting as many as he can he is not aiming to wipe them all out but the damage they have done in this field you could be forgiven wanting to!
    The ones we shot were all young animals 2 were gilts and 1 bore , it would have been impossible to sex them in the dark at 100mtrs any way but we knew that they were not adult pigs so no moral dilemers to worry about!
    What is your cull policy ?
    Thank Ian.

this year i will be taking very few as they are been hammered all around where i shoot and all year round i will be just taking young males and any that have been wounded by people with shot guns and small cal rifles

What sort of area in sussex bud as im in west sussex and like to know how close they are getting?

Cheers

John

Quote Originally Posted by rascal_2005 View Post
    What sort of area in sussex bud as im in west sussex and like to know how close they are getting?

Cheers

John
    No signs on our ground in Horsham yet
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Im in crawley right on the crawley/horsham border. Altho i have no permission i like to keep an eye out.

Im guessing you have rOe, fallow and the odd muntjac?

Atb john

fallow and roe yes but never seen a munty... or any signs of pigs. I only get down there 5or 6 weekends a year but I speak with the landowner on about a fortnightly basis and he let's me know what's going on.
    Some of the surrounding fields and a small wood have recently been sold so I need to get in there and do some door knocking.
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

im in northiam there are a few boar and loads of fallow and i have 1 sika i one herd but never seen and roe or muntjac round these parts

Si i hear the munty are as far as cottersmore ( not sure if you know it?) altho i have never seen them before myself. There are tons of fox aswell.