243 or 6.5x65 which is best

I shoot a 6.5x55 and I am a big fan of the calibre but I have to agree with Thar.
When you already have a 30-06 for larger deer a 243 would be perfect for foxes and smaller deer.

I would suggest a 243 would be the ideal partner for your 30-06, the 243 can shoot bullet weight between 55 and 100gn the 30-06 picks up were the 243 finishes with 125gn bullets to 220gn. A 55gn bullet at nearly 4000fps is devastating on foxes and at least equal to a 22-250 if not better, I find a 6mm rifle is ideal on roe, you have the 30-06 for bigger animals. The 6.5X55 will leave a gap at the bottom end of bullet weights and duplicate what the 30-06 can do in the middle.

ATB

Tahr

Couldn't agree more. .243/.30-'06 is a classic combo. Glyn

In fact if you disregard the drivel about .270 and Boar there is nothing between the two cartidges apart from some idiots in a committee!

A 270 using a 160gn bullet will have about 2900ft/lbs of energy, while a 6.5X55 will develop around 2000ft/lbs of energy with the same bullet weight. Now that is a hell of a difference in performance. Now I know that ballistic charts are not everything I have hunted boar with a 243 or even with no rifle, but we have to draw the line some were, a cartridge that develops around 900ft/lbs of energy over another is a big jump up IMO.

ATB

Tahr

A 270 using a 160gn bullet will have about 2900ft/lbs of energy, while a 6.5X55 will develop around 2000ft/lbs of energy with the same bullet weight. Now that is a hell of a difference in performance. Now I know that ballistic charts are not everything I have hunted boar with a 243 or even with no rifle, but we have to draw the line some were, a cartridge that develops around 900ft/lbs of energy over another is a big jump up IMO.

ATB

Tahr
You can safely load a 140 grain 6.5 to 2600 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, how is that not adequate for boar and how is that inferior to a .270 with the same ME?
In fact a fair few of the modern loads from the US manufacturers comes very close to this level.
It was blinkered opinion thats all and ACPO shouldnt have paid it any attention and neither should the Force firearms managers but then the Home office love ACPO!

You can safely load a 140 grain 6.5 to 2600 foot pounds of energy at the muzzle, how is that not adequate for boar and how is that inferior to a .270 with the same ME?
In fact a fair few of the modern loads from the US manufacturers comes very close to this level.

B-B I am sure the 6.5X55 is better suited to the 140gn bullet than the 160gn, but are you sure about that 2600ft/lbs??? not FPS??? The reloading data I have to hand in both my manuals show no loading than get anywhere need that.
ATB

Tahr

B-B I am sure the 6.5X55 is better suited to the 140gn bullet than the 160gn, but are you sure about that 2600ft/lbs??? not FPS??? The reloading data I have to hand in both my manuals show no loading than get anywhere need that.
ATB

Tahr
I see what you are saying, I was using loads in infinity V which isnt working at the moment and I cant check. I did raise this with Sussex police and rather than argue ballistics they decided to use the ACPO says so argument to which I replied since when did ACPO make the rules?
That said I have a 7 x 57 conditioned for Boar and a 12 bore slug gun but if I moved next door to Kent where the biggest problems are they condition your FAC as any legal quarry and wash their hands of it!

Both .243 and 6.5x55 are ladies calibres!:rolleyes::lol:
If you've already got a 30.06 'get some nuts' and go for a 25.06!
Seriously though, it is a sensible combo as you can get a suitable powder such as 4350 or 4831 which should suit both!
Similar trajectories too with the right bullet choice.
MS:)

Seriously though, it is a sensible combo as you can get a suitable powder such as 4350 or 4831 which should suit both!

At last some sense. Theres nowt wrong with the 243, but a 25-06 now theres a serious consideration. As for the 6.5 Ive no experiance.

nutty

Ahhh but MS your forgetting that the 25-06 requires a long action with all that extra weight and of course that means you have to learn how to managed that huge long bolt throw/travel and of course that means you have to be built like Charles Atlas to cope with the weight and have arms like an Orangutan to cope with that long bolt throw. The of course despite the extra weight that long action flexes lie a rubber band.

Nope it MUST be a short action or else well read the above..

That's why the short action is such a must in modern shooting and no one really seesm to know how we managed before without them ;)

And the Howa long actions stretch, to boot!:D

I can end the discussion. The 6.5x55 is better. Why? Because I have 13 of them and my daughter absconded with my only 243! The moral being, if you have a 243 in the cabinet, it's way better than a 6.5 sitting elsewhere... and visa versa. Hang your hat on it, shoot it til you have a high degree of proficiency with it, and you'll have the better rifle. (until, of course, you authoritatively decide it no longer works for you) Simple.~Muir

I love both my .243 and my 30-06 and have probably shot more deer with my .243 than with my '06. As always it is what you are comfortable with and shoot most accurately. As for the biggest is best argument, my largest red stags and fallow bucks all fell to one shot with a .243 on the flip side i have shot dozens of Munty's with my '06 with virtually no damage. The 6.5 sits squarely in the middle for me so i see no reason to own one, still a nice calibre just not for me.

Kind of confirms my observation doesn't it?!;)
The fact that she didn't even bother with any of the 13 6.5's speaks volumes also!:p
MS:D

Nah! It was just the rifle I brought with me to South Dakota for her to use. She just kinda liked the idea of it being hers. If I'd handed her a 6.5x55 and she shot it as well as that old Model 70 .243, she's have happily weaved her spells to get that one instead.

"Poppa? I really like this rifle. Can I have it, please??"

It gets me every time.:rolleyes:~Muir

Last edited:
.243....my friends & I used them on all UK species of deer for years & years. Great calibre. However, we've all come to the conclusion we needed something a touch larger. So, one has bought a 7mm 08, another has just built a custom 6.5x47 Lapua and two of us bought .25-06 Rem.
One of those is a Stainless Sako 85....mod & bi pod on - rediculously heavy & mine's a Blaser K95 (No long bolt action there), very lightweight too.
.25-06, 6.5x47, 6.5x55, .260Rem - all offer good bullet choices, velocity & energy @ 100 to 300 yards. Take your pick.
Cheers,

"Poppa? I really like this rifle. Can I have it, please??"

It gets me every time.:rolleyes:~Muir[/QUOTE]

You Big old Softie :D good on ya

Back