243 or 6.5x65 which is best

wboulter

i normally use a 30 06 but i want to buy a secound rifle at the moment i`ve got a slot on my ticket for a 243 but i hered a lot negetives about the 243 ie not up to the job to small etc i`d be using it for fox roe and fallow but would i be better off with a 6.5 x55 i`ve spoken to my feo he`s not got a problem with me having either which one would be best one to have whats your opinion

Last edited:
243 not up to the job LOL i will have to ask the fallow bucks that are hanging in the chiller !!!243 bloody good calibre so is 6.5x55 your choice both will be a good one to own

Either would do the job just fine.
Try not to listen too hard to the negatives of the .243, it is the most popular calibre in the UK for a reason.
As with all calibres its about bullet placement.
Both rounds will be nice to shoot, low recoil etc.

Grant as I have pointed out in the past it's the most popular because to the Police it's the minimum legal calibre and they simply love the word minimum. The amount of new shooters and those requesting a rifle for deer are pushed onto the .243 as it's the minimum. I can recall being told that the .308 is too large for deer and 303 ............... much sucking of teeth no way as that's a military calibre.. Ok says I ................................... I have been offered a nice 7.7mm ........................... Hmmm never heard of one of those says FEO.... 7.7x56R is the metric designation for 303 British :rolleyes:. They finally settled on my using my .270 win as my first stalking rifle.

I agree with Brit, the .243 is the minimum allowed for most deer so most shooters buy one as their first rifle.
I did.
I had 2 before I tried many other calibres.
I still get many shooters using a .243 very well.
But it is limited to bullet weight and kills with speed.(this often leaves bruising).
I personally like heavier bullets for woodland as they will get through when a .243 won't.
The 6.5 is a great calibre I wish i'd had one years ago.
I think the 6.5 with a 140gr bullet is the best place to start with any deer in most situtions.
Heavy slow bullets kill very well indeed and do little damage in my experience.
Up to 200m's drop isn't a big issue either.

Thanks for that Brit,
I used a .243 for everything from a Munty to a Red and it did everything I asked of it.
However I now use a .308 , I did think about the 6.5 though

I am a 6.5 fan now I have a lite rifle I use it most of all.I have a243 shot with it and others for years before getting 6.5.
Most important is to put the fast moving lead and copper bit in the right place:rolleyes:

I've just traded in my 243 for a 6.5x55 and I have no regrets, don't get me wrong the 243 was excellent, but my new 6.5 is so much sweeter

Ian

Hello, a few professional stalkers use the .243 which really is a recommendation in itself but also a few use the 6.5 x 55 also,I recently got my variation through for my first deer rifle and initially applied for a .243 & .308 after using these on the range and liking them but I also shot the 6.5 and really liked it and then I used john robsons 6.5 on my first stalk,which convinced me that I wanted the 6.5.After looking into the ballistic side of things the 6.5 throws bullets upto 160 grain at a low operating pressure and relatively flatly,kills with low meat damage,and little recoil.
The .243 is faster and flatter and can only handle bullets upto 100 grains and speed equates to meat damage,in my mind this makes the .243 a better fox rifle,where meat damage doesnt matter.......that said personally I wouldnt buy one for fox when the excellent 22-250 exists,cheers lee

I have a 6.5 and use 120 grain, love it to bits and also real easy to reload. A few mates have .243 and bigger but I have to admit my 6.5 seems to have less bruising than their .243s....or maybe its my imagination :confused:. Though I do say from time to time the .243 is a dog gun , though just to wind them up, as in South Africa its known as a dog gun , as turns all meat to dog meat lol....though I dont agree with that :-|

Ahhh you'll also notice I didn't slate the .243 or 6mm.. Although I avoided it for quite few years as I had better choices in my collection are two .243 rifles and a 6mm Remington chambered rifle. The 6mm has been shall we say testing with it's load development. it shot what factory ammo I could obtain quite will but not with stellar performance on target hand loads eventually improved on them. The last .243 came from a person I knew a little and know that it shoots the Hornady 100 grain SP very nicely indeed.

Had a .243 for small species and 6.5X55 ,Could only keep one (needed some cash) found 6.5 will do all I needed,so the 243 went.
But nothing wrong with 243 ,Just prefer the 6.5.

I traded my .243 in for a 6.5x55 this summer.

Personally I had no issues with the .243, it grouped well and put the deer (and foxes) down no problem.

The main reason I changed was for a heavier weight bullet. I found with the .243 the best it would shoot accurately were 85gr bullets and I felt that for bigger species like sika I would like a bigger round around the 129 to 140 mark.

New rifle gives touching shots at 100 yards, minimal kick and is a pleasure to shoot. In theory, the slower bullets in the 6.5x55 should give less meat damage to beasts as well which is good for selling on the venison.

I would suggest a 243 would be the ideal partner for your 30-06, the 243 can shoot bullet weight between 55 and 100gn the 30-06 picks up were the 243 finishes with 125gn bullets to 220gn. A 55gn bullet at nearly 4000fps is devastating on foxes and at least equal to a 22-250 if not better, I find a 6mm rifle is ideal on roe, you have the 30-06 for bigger animals. The 6.5X55 will leave a gap at the bottom end of bullet weights and duplicate what the 30-06 can do in the middle.

ATB

Tahr

thanks for your opinion`s :thumb:thay have all been taken on borard still not 100% decide but leaning towards the 243 as already have it on my ticket and it will save the hassle of going through a varyiation i might now go to the for sale section and see whats 243 are on over cheers lads

243 are cheaper to buy and there is a lot more choice in used rifles than 6.5X55 as well.

ATB

Tahr

Either would do the job just fine.
Try not to listen too hard to the negatives of the .243, it is the most popular calibre in the UK for a reason.
As with all calibres its about bullet placement.
Both rounds will be nice to shoot, low recoil etc.

Dead right. I had a large Norfolk red stag on Monday with a 100 grains of .243 right through the engine room, shattered the heart, he ran 20 yards and dropped. It is all about placement with a few exceptions like testosterone fuelled rutting bucks and stags that might need a bigger round as well as good placement. For your planned fox, roe and fallow the .243 will be fine.

Last edited:
6.5x65? Love my 6.5x55!:D
I started with one and stil have 2 in the cabinet. Cant go wrong with 140 grain pills, deal with everything and then some. In fact if you disregard the drivel about .270 and Boar there is nothing between the two cartidges apart from some idiots in a committee!
.243 has its place and its very effective but I would go for the 6.5 first time every time!

Back