Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 22-250 ok to use on muntjac and CWD?

22-250 ok to use on muntjac and CWD?

I know the 22-250 is legal for munties and cwd but is it a good round to use or is it a bit fierce?

I've been going out foxing with an older chap who told me tonight he won't be renewing his FAC next year and has offered me his .22lr carbine and 22-250, rather than sell them

I'm going to apply for a variation next year to add a fox rifle and occasional small deer and had set my sights on a .223.

Obviously if the 22-250 is suitable it'll be a no brainer to apply for this instead,

Cheers

get some heavier jacketed bullets in 50-55gr Hp's or soft points and its a fine smaller deer rifle.

Mine works very well on roe with 55gr Federal ballistic tips.

I actually was asking about this subject a few weeks back, well the bullets anyway and from the advice on here and from Sierra 55 grain Gamekings came up trumps. I find it refreshing Yorkshire that you dont bite folks heads off when they ask about .22 centre fires for Munti and Chinkys when folk ask. When I did my level 1 the instructors villified/humiliated folk who wanted to use their .22 centre fire for the shooting test, even thougn totally legal and when challenged they came out with the weak excuse that .22 centre fires shouldnt be allowed as most game keepers have them and might use them to take Roe.

Its a bit of a joke really (the level instuctors attitude) when we can legally use them in scotland for roe ( i use a .223) off which we know they are more than enough gun to take small deer with. When i did my level 1 outside Edinburgh the vast majority of people were using .22 centrefire rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by chickenman View Post
    I actually was asking about this subject a few weeks back, well the bullets anyway and from the advice on here and from Sierra 55 grain Gamekings came up trumps. I find it refreshing Yorkshire that you dont bite folks heads off when they ask about .22 centre fires for Munti and Chinkys when folk ask. When I did my level 1 the instructors villified/humiliated folk who wanted to use their .22 centre fire for the shooting test, even thougn totally legal and when challenged they came out with the weak excuse that .22 centre fires shouldnt be allowed as most game keepers have them and might use them to take Roe.
    I have many years ago (in scotland) used my 22250 on many roe with everything from barnes, vmax and gamekings.
    the sierra are the best by far always leaving a 10p sized exit.
    If it were legal here I would use it on occasion instead of my 6.5.
    Though its no secret I prefer heavy rounds I do like the 22250 its so easy to shoot very well.
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 14-10-2011 at 21:54.

Quote Originally Posted by www.yorkshireroestalking. View Post
    I have many years ago (in scotland) used my 22250 on many roe with everything from barnes, vmax and gamekings.
    the sierra are the best by far always leaving a 10p sized exit.
    If it were legal here I would use it on occasion instead of my 6.5.
    Though its no secret I prefer heavy rounds I do like the 22250 its so easy to shoot very well.
    yes i love my 22/250 also. as you say lots of power and not much recoil so easy to shoot well.

Thanks guys it also sounds like the ideal kind of rifle/round for a beginner like myself!

Quote Originally Posted by stratts View Post
    Thanks guys it also sounds like the ideal kind of rifle/round for a beginner like myself!
    I was just about to put my twopennth in and say in experianced hands I have no problem with it but I would always hope for more stopping power (ballistic shock)to be used by a bigginer as quarry does not always oblige by standing perfectly square on and still

Quote Originally Posted by roedeerred View Post
    I was just about to put my twopennth in and say in experianced hands I have no problem with it but I would always hope for more stopping power (ballistic shock)to be used by a bigginer as quarry does not always oblige by standing perfectly square on and still
    i would agree not a beginners cartridge on any deer