Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best way to gain C/F shooting experience before dsc 1

Best way to gain C/F shooting experience before dsc 1

Hi,
    I've just recieved my training manual and cd etc for the dsc 1 so I'm about to start studying, but I've been wondering how do I get enough experience with a c/f rifle so I pass the shooting test? I have had my fac since January and own a rimfire and was going to put in a variation for a small c/f either .222 or.223 for fox which would mean I would then have some experience of shooting a c/f but would that be just wasting my money and should I wait untill I get the dsc1 and then apply for a larger calibre rifle (my feo has stated that he would "prefer me to have the dsc 1 before thinking about something bigger") What should I do?
    Thanks.

Try & get out with someone close to your area, do a bit of bunny bashing & learn to go as lamp man, or, try a bit of club range work, using club calibres.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Does anyone know of a "full bore" club near Edinburgh/Lothians?

If you're booked in with a training centre for level one they might be able to help you with some range time.

Does anyone else find this rather odd that one can obtain a DSC1 and according to the Police be competent with virtually no experience of actual shooting at all .

It just makes no sense to me at all.

Kevin, I really don't need to tell you of all people, this is a case of the "Blind" trying to lead those that are sighted, but needing a little guidance.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

check your PM.

Kevin, I agree with you. On my DSC1 course there was one person who had never fired a rifle prior to the practice/zero session

sadly it happens a lot, nowadays I get the joy of mentoring a fair number of these DSC1 qualified stalkers. I can tell you not many of them are that good, no wonder the old bill insist on a mentoring clause. Sad but in my day you learnt from a friend or bought day stalking, no qualifications available and you proved your experience to the feo with a stalking diary.

You can still practice your shooting even if you only have a rimfire. It is more about technique than shooting the distances. Prone is generally what most people find easiest, so practice shooting from sitting/kneeling (whichever feels most comfortable), this was the one that I found hardest on the assessment and is 70m so still rimfire distance. Shooting off sticks at 40m is virtually foolproof if I can do it!

Where abouts in the Lothians are you?

Lothian & Borders Rifle Club may be near enough for you:

The range is situated on a grouse moor in the hills behind Carfraemill and is operational from March to the end of July. They usually shoot every two weeks alternating between Saturday and Sunday. There is a firing point at 130, 230 and 590 yards with the 590 only being used occasionally.

Membership fees are 40 per year with an initial joining fee of 60. Members are predominately stalkers who use the range to practise, test out new ammo as well as interact with fellow stalkers. Currently there are approximately 30-40 members in the Club.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post
    Does anyone else find this rather odd that one can obtain a DSC1 and according to the Police be competent with virtually no experience of actual shooting at all .

It just makes no sense to me at all.
    ....mind you, to get your FAC the police don't sit down and give you a safety assessment either! . I have seen plenty of people who have not sat DSC1 and would say they are competent yet after seeing them in action I would certainly recommend they sit the DSC1.
    By three methods we may learn wisdom:
    First, by reflection, which is noblest;
    Second, by imitation, which is easiest;
    and third by experience, which is the bitterest