Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Merging of regiments

Merging of regiments

As some of us here support our serving forces, wether as former members, or as parents of boys & girls serving currently, what are the views of loss of long serving regalia/cap badges?, some of these honours earned at no small cost?............ my own example, the Cheshire regiment.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Steve

You ought to read Richard Holmes new book, Soldiers. He talks with real feeling of the changes that have taken place with regards to the merging of regiments and the subsequent loss of the sense of "place" for a regiment. As the son of a regular in The Buffs it is hard to view the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment with quite the same sense of affection.

Dom
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

It wont be long before they will have all merged in some form or another

Its years since they merged many forming the air mobile brigades etc

Always a sad day when it happens

Terry
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

Things do change, with a reduction in the total numbers there will have to be a reduction in the number of battalions so I guess consequently regiments. I made the choice of joining a Houshold Division regiment and I doubt they will start amalgamating those although there is talk of one of them being mothballed.

I am not in favour of it, I guess only people who have been part of a regiment will understand the pride and esprit de corps that the regiment can engender but at the end of the day I guess we can only have the army we can afford..

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    As some of us here support our serving forces, wether as former members, or as parents of boys & girls serving currently, what are the views of loss of long serving regalia/cap badges?, some of these honours earned at no small cost?............ my own example, the Cheshire regiment.

Line regiments thing of the distant passed it matters not how many battle honours vc winners these regiments have they will sooner or later be absolute history .

The guard division is in the same contention
    Grenadier guards light role 1 battalion+ 1 company for household duties ,
    Coldstream guards light role 1 battalion,
    Scots guards armoured infantry + 1 company household duties
    Irish guards 1 battalion light role ,
    Welsh guards 1 battalion light role .

The Parachute regiment is the only one so far that hasn't been effected still has 3 battalions why I'd love to know they are under worked but still miss all the cuts.

We have seen cuts before but when the Tories came to power the recruitment of all the regiments went back to strength .NOT this time the cuts are on the up and up we'll all , be losing the families we served with, no matter what we say or moan about .

Something we'll all have to get use to

Serving point of view here. I come from a Scottish Regiment with a strong identity, now part of a larger Regiment. Currently we have 37 Inf Bns and we have to face the real prospect of that number reducing to 22 - 25 ish. Scotland will take a fair share of cuts but not sure how the Bde of guards can remain untouched, even if the incremental Coys go.....

15 years time and there will be 15 Bns of the Corps of Infantry, even more uniform changes

Jinga: The household division lost 3 battalions from the Grenadiers the Coldstream and the Scots guards so if that is un touched .

The Scottish division Or the Royal regiment of Scotland was having problems with man power long before these current problems that we have .

I would think the Cheshires',those of who'm have made the ultimate sacrifice, would forgive my preference for amalgamation with one of the commando regiments, or parachute brigades, / marine commandos.... rather than this strangled chicken thing!
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Notwithstanding any other preferences, what about all those battle honours on the colours?

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    I would think the Cheshires',those of who'm have made the ultimate sacrifice, would forgive my preference for amalgamation with one of the commando regiments, or parachute brigades, / marine commandos.... rather than this strangled chicken thing!
    I think another problem then arises when sharing a cap badge or beret, ie 29 Commando or 3RHA etc where by although passing the course you have not done the full training of your beret counterpart

Will this eventually over a period of time then lead to a shorter amount of time in training for all ?

No good will come from it thats for sure
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...