Can't get a legal velocity from Varget powder charge for 100gr .243 !!!

Lightyear

Folks,

I got a great accuracy result from my first real attempt with the Sierra 100gr GameKing, last weekedn but putting the load over the chrono this weekend has highlighted a problem with deer legality....so did some testing this morning....still a problem !!!

Sierra 100gr GameKing .243

Varget min 31.0 max 33.7gr

33.5gr FPS 2550 Ftlb 1445 (3 rounds overlapping / clover leaf at 100 yards)

34.0gr FPS 2675 Ftlb 1590

34.5gr FPS 2720 Ftlb 1643 (0.8gr over Hodgdon max)

I was only aiming to get around 2770 FPS for a legal charge in UK but appear to have a "slow" barrel.

I think another powder and some more testing is going to be required ....Any advice appreciated given the apparent "slow" barrel.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

You will need to use a slower burning powder to get maximum velocity with the heavy bullets.
Try some vihtavuori n160 or reloader 22.

Cheers chaps.

My local stocks Hodgdon & Reloader so will try the H414 or R22 (Can't get Viht locally.)

The Varget works fabulously when trying the 87gr BTHP Hornady.

Thanks for the pointers.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Last edited:
Cheers chaps.

My local stocks Hodgdon & Reloader so will try the H414 or R22 (Can't get Viht locally.)

The Varget works fabulously when trying the 87gr BTHP Hornady.

Thanks for the pointers.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip
Philip ive got Vit 140 and 150 here if you want to try some along with H414 and reloader 15, there are probably a few more suitable powders out there if you want me to look in the loading shed.

I found that 43gn of Vectan Tu7000 gave me just under 3000fps from a 22" barrel, cheap powder also.

ATB

Tahr

Philip ive got Vit 140 and 150 here if you want to try some along with H414 and reloader 15, there are probably a few more suitable powders out there if you want me to look in the loading shed.

Cheers Pierre - I will take you up on that offer Sir. I am just trying to get myself prepared for next year ( assuming everything else pans out !!!) really so no real rush, just want to get it right.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

Folks,

I got a great accuracy result from my first real attempt with the Sierra 100gr GameKing, last weekedn but putting the load over the chrono this weekend has highlighted a problem with deer legality....so did some testing this morning....still a problem !!!

Sierra 100gr GameKing .243

Varget min 31.0 max 33.7gr

33.5gr FPS 2550 Ftlb 1445 (3 rounds overlapping / clover leaf at 100 yards)

34.0gr FPS 2675 Ftlb 1590

34.5gr FPS 2720 Ftlb 1643 (0.8gr over Hodgdon max)

I was only aiming to get around 2770 FPS for a legal charge in UK but appear to have a "slow" barrel.

I think another powder and some more testing is going to be required ....Any advice appreciated given the apparent "slow" barrel.

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

I'm fascinated by your problem.

How short a barrel do you happen to have on your .243?

22 inches

30 year old Sako A2 with 3 year old Border Archer 1 : 10 twist barrel

Wonderfully accurate...Just slow !!!

Cheers + ATVB

Philip

if varget doesnt work I would have though N140 would be similar. both very similar fast powders aren't they?
if you have the full 22" I would have thought a mid range powder like an N160/Rl22/4350 would be better suited.

might even get some flames out the muzzle if you are lucky! :norty:

H4831 could also be worth trying .
My sierra manual gives a MAXIMUM load of 44.9 grains with a 100 grain bullet at 3000fps.
They used a 22 inch barrel.

H4831 could also be worth trying .
My sierra manual gives a MAXIMUM load of 44.9 grains with a 100 grain bullet at 3000fps.
They used a 22 inch barrel.

I use 4831sc in my 243WSSM I can get 3200fps with it although I run it at about 3100 for best accuarcy from a 22" barrel.

ATB

Tahr

sierra recomend IMR-4064 36.2g as max load. i've used the same data sheet for my 70g noslers and i tried a couple of powders they recomended and each one performed as they said it would!

You don't mention any pressure signs. Are you getting any?
If not, and you still have space then stoke up in small and safe increments.

Other question is whether you are loading them long?
If you are then that will drop starting pressures and velocity quite dramatically, even if it is only a few thou. That's what I have found anyway.

Back