Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Deer After A Stalk

Buying Deer After A Stalk

I have booked my first two stalk and would like some advice about buying the carcase if I do manage to shoot anything. I will be stalking Roe and Fallow Does (possible Muntjack) in the midlands.

What price do the carcases sell for (/Kilo)?

Is the weight taken with the deer Gralloched, head on , etc?

How much meat would I expect to end up with (% wise as I know it would depend on the size of the animal)?

Can the butchering be done by any butcher if it is for my own use and what would the likely cost of having it butchered.

How long would I have before I had to get it to the butcher (I don't have a chiller).

Thanks in advance, and of course this is all based on the assumption that I might shoot something.

- Anywhere between 1.80 to 2.60 per kg

- Weight is gralloched, head and feet off

How much meat would I expect to end up with (% wise as I know it would depend on the size of the animal)?
    Never really weighed afterwards, but lets say a fallow doe is 40kg gralloched, I would expect 22kg in meat give or take

Can the butchering be done by any butcher if it is for my own use and what would the likely cost of having it butchered.
    Never had a butcher do one for me, why not give it a go yourself? Its just like a big rabbit! If it is a munty or roe you can hang it up on your own, if it is a fallow I use a pully. There are some good butchery books out there and its fine to do it yourself. Only one way to learn!!

How long would I have before I had to get it to the butcher (I don't have a chiller).
    It has just got a bit colder up here recently, last week I would have said without undue delay, but overnight wouldn't be too bad in this weather. Optimum temperature for a deer is under 7degrees, I normally have my chiller going at 5 degrees

Good luck with the stalking, be nice to reed a write up if you are successful, with some pics! Nice to see you wish to buy it too, nothing like eating your the spoils of a successful stalking trip!

HI Kieran,

Hopefully you have some luck and this advice comes into play!

i would expect to pay around 2.20/kg perhaps more perhaps less.

weights are usually taken with head, guts and feet removed, but skin still on.

you can allow for approx 40% wastage on skin, bones and sinew etc, thats not including any shot damage/ gut contamination. so on a 100lb fallow expect around 60lbs of meat.

most butchers will be happy to cut up a carcass for you as long as it has been skinned, it is very similar to butchering a lamb. i would expect to pay 25 to have it cut up and steaked/jointed but it would be more for sausages/burgers. also try and get it vacuum packed as it will last much longer in your freezer.

ideally a carcass should be brought down to 3 degrees within 3 hours of being shot, but if the weather is cool, around 10 degrees, then i think you will get away with hanging overnight and then off to the butcher first thing in the morning.

Good luck!

Another thing to check before you go off to the butchers is whether they want you to prove it's been inspected by somebody competent, DSC1 cert if you have one usually does. And, do they want it skinned Before you take it to them. My village butcher is insistent on that point, reckons he can't hang game in his chiller with skin on.

kieran youtube taught me an american guy has several videos boning out and cutting into steaks first one i did took four hours can do it in two now from skinning to vacum sealing and thats cugging and mincing none steak bits ill find a link.

Quote Originally Posted by Steyer 6.5 View Post
    kieran youtube taught me an american guy has several videos boning out and cutting into steaks first one i did took four hours can do it in two now from skinning to vacum sealing and thats cugging and mincing none steak bits ill find a link.
    Here it is!:

Not the one I used it was this one

Check out this video on YouTube:

Quote Originally Posted by stalker.308 View Post
    - Anywhere between 1.80 to 2.60 per kg

- Weight is gralloched, head and feet off

Never really weighed afterwards, but lets say a fallow doe is 40kg gralloched, I would expect 22kg in meat give or take

Never had a butcher do one for me, why not give it a go yourself? Its just like a big rabbit! If it is a munty or roe you can hang it up on your own, if it is a fallow I use a pully. There are some good butchery books out there and its fine to do it yourself. Only one way to learn!!

It has just got a bit colder up here recently, last week I would have said without undue delay, but overnight wouldn't be too bad in this weather. Optimum temperature for a deer is under 7degrees, I normally have my chiller going at 5 degrees

Good luck with the stalking, be nice to reed a write up if you are successful, with some pics! Nice to see you wish to buy it too, nothing like eating your the spoils of a successful stalking trip!
    If ever I put any stalking related queries up on this forum, I hope someone will do me the honour of replying as stalker.308 has above. That's got to be one of the best examples of an experienced bloke giving encouragement and advice to a newcomer! Answered the questions with no put-downs. On behalf of all the novices on here, thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by VSS View Post
    If ever I put any stalking related queries up on this forum, I hope someone will do me the honour of replying as stalker.308 has above. That's got to be one of the best examples of an experienced bloke giving encouragement and advice to a newcomer! Answered the questions with no put-downs. On behalf of all the novices on here, thanks!
    In the words of meat loaf "you took the words right of my mouth"

+1 from me too!