Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: browning 243

browning 243

i have a browning european 243 wooden stocked but it is not screw cut for a mod. Does anyone think it will wreck its accuracy if i get the barrel shortened and screw cut, at the minute can clover leaf at 300m on the range off bipod. I was thinking of getting a pro hunter synthetic same as my 6.5x55 to replace it.

Steyer

Steyer,

If you get your rifle screw cut and fit a mod it will change your point of aim so you will need to re-zero but if you get it shortened you will also need to have the barrel re-crowned.

Personally if I had a rifle that accurate a 300m I would not be shortening the barrel, so why do you want to? If you are worried about increasing the overall length then get an over-the-barrel type mod such as a Reflex T8 but there are plenty of others to choose from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ewich View Post
    Steyer,

If you get your rifle screw cut and fit a mod it will change your point of aim so you will need to re-zero but if you get it shortened you will also need to have the barrel re-crowned.

Personally if I had a rifle that accurate a 300m I would not be shortening the barrel, so why do you want to? If you are worried about increasing the overall length then get an over-the-barrel type mod such as a Reflex T8 but there are plenty of others to choose from.
    Stating the bleeding obvious...
    You think that you know a 'smith who wouldn't re crown????

BTW if you want a shorter barrel have at it! Should not affect accuracy if done correctly, muzzle vel. will fall.
    Last edited by j0e_bl0ggs; 15-10-2011 at 18:30.

if i had a rifle that acurate i wouldnt want to play with it to much either and i certainly wouldnt want to play with the barrell length. i can see the reasons why you would want it threaded tho so if i were you i would just send it off to get it threaded by a decent rifle smith

Guy near me has just purchased the self same rifle, accurate as hell, Had a moderator installed by a private "gunsmith" who cut two inches off to fit the mod - he is now spraying the target, took it back to the gunshop he purchased it from and he sent it back, and the report is the barrel is knackered and it is out of warranty as well 6 weeks old

Apparently the guy asked the gunshop to have the work done before he collected it but he found this "gunsmith" who was twenty pound cheaper and took it to him instead

Bad lesson learnt i'd say - he is selling it for scrap apparently

You see why I asked now. My browning is a nice rifle and nice wood even though it's only beech stock and is very accurate.

Rifles are not voo doo...
    do a job right and it'll shoot right.
    Just give the rifle to someone with a good reputation.
    Look at Brock&Norris, Andy (Redmist) off this site, Valkyrie to name a few.
    edi

Quote Originally Posted by philip View Post
    Guy near me has just purchased the self same rifle, accurate as hell, Had a moderator installed by a private "gunsmith" who cut two inches off to fit the mod - he is now spraying the target, took it back to the gunshop he purchased it from and he sent it back, and the report is the barrel is knackered and it is out of warranty as well 6 weeks old
    How the feck do you scrap a barrel by shortening it? At worse the thread could not be cut concentric to the bore, or the crown is poor. Cut the barrel back inch and do it properly this is not a scrap barrel. If it really is scrap and somebody is not trying to pull his pants down something dramatic must have happened to it. Threading a barrel is a 2 year apprentice job after all. I would take it to another Gunsmith for a second opinion, if he thinks it is scrap I will give him 200 for it unseen.

ATB

Tahr

It could effect accuracy but probably wont. go to a proper rifle smith some of the gun smiths can be a bit hit and miss when the engineering starts to get a wee bit more technical. I have known some cowboys to turn the barrel to diameter then run a die down it rather than screw cutting!!

Dave

You guys don't read your own threads! I have mentioned that I once pined for a moderator. Now, after reading all the tales of rusting, badly installed units, change in accuracy and zero, I believe they should be avoided like a soiled dove with a cold sore: Might be no big thing. Might be a game changer.

Seriously. Altering a rifle that shoots cloverleaf groups at 300M? Foolishness if you ask me.~Muir