Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing rifle cabinet with uneven walls?

Installing rifle cabinet with uneven walls?

As per the title, today I tried to install a full size Brattonsound Sentinal 4 Rifle Safe. I want to install it in a cupboard under the stairs. The walls are old (approx.1850s) bare brick with lime mortar. However I struggled to get the cabinet flush with the walls as they were too uneven. In any position there was still about a 3/4 inch gap somewhere, exacerbated by the 1.3m height

I live in London (rifles currently in SW Scotland). I have heard the met are pretty strict on security due to high crime levels etc. Can anyone suggest how to solve this? Could I render the bricks with plaster?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Muddy

Hi,
    Go on screwfix and buy some threaded bar, bolts and washers. Also buy some epoxy wall anchor adhesive. Cut your bar to length. Drill holes in the wall corresponding to your cabinet. Fill with epoxy and put the bar in. When dried use washers as spacers and bold the cabinet to the wall then just surround the cabinet with some ordinary timber to cover the gap.

Ian

Beware bolting cabinet tight to an uneven wall as you can warp them and have trouble opening and closing the door - that's from experience!

Quote Originally Posted by Briarquest View Post
    Hi,
    Go on screwfix and buy some threaded bar, bolts and washers. Also buy some epoxy wall anchor adhesive. Cut your bar to length. Drill holes in the wall corresponding to your cabinet. Fill with epoxy and put the bar in. When dried use washers as spacers and bold the cabinet to the wall then just surround the cabinet with some ordinary timber to cover the gap.
    Exactly what I was going to say, I had the same problem with uneven walls and this method worked great for me.

Use washers to pack out the bolts taking up the space between the cabinet and the wall, if you want to fill the space there after us expanding foam to fill the gap that the packing out has left.

Maybe try get a couple of fixings in through the floor of the cabinet as well if it been drilled (or drill it yourself) this will only help secureness.

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    lay it on its side

mines on the floor i like it much better

I had the same problem, 1800s stone walls. I did the same as Briarquest. Had to go in fairly deep as the stone was breaking up. I also bolted it to the floor and then put some cement in between the safe and the gaps. As said by Apache, be careful not to overtighten the bolts with the gaps between the wall and the safe as it can lead to distortion and problems closing the door.

I had the same problem when installing mine were the gap. So i cut a pieace of plaster board to fit the gap then pushed the cabinet to hold the plaster board against the wall flush, that way then your cabinet is flush no gaps and should'nt warp. Were the gap appears at the edge of your cabinet, if its not that big fill it down the side with decarators cork to suit the colour of your decor that way it will take your eye off the gap i did it with mine and you couldn't tell.