Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: reloading press, Advice required

reloading press, Advice required

How's every one Looking some advice fairly new to reloading and broke my lee classic press tonight where the handle joins on. what would be a good replacement for it. I thinking of a new make in stead of fixing the lee. Any advice on what a good make and model that is strong and reliable and accurate would be greatfully recived thanks Dixie

RCBS rockchucker or reloader special 5 would be fine, doubt you would break one of them. Will Lee not replace under warranty??

You should have a look at RCBS or REDDING
    I see SmartReloader, Shooters Supply | Reloading Press Equipment and Shooting Supplies are selling the rcbs rock chucker supreme press for 140 euro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    How's every one Looking some advice fairly new to reloading and broke my lee classic press tonight where the handle joins on. what would be a good replacement for it. I thinking of a new make in stead of fixing the lee. Any advice on what a good make and model that is strong and reliable and accurate would be greatfully recived thanks Dixie
    How the hell did you manage to break the Lee?? ~Muir

Lee use Monkey metal. I have broken the linkages of 2 Classic presses and 3 auto-primes.
    I stopped buying Lee products and now use Redding or Forster where possible.

Yorkie.

I'll ask you the same question: What where you doing when you broke two presses? I have owned these same tools for decades and not broken anything, ever.~Muir

I have a Lee turret press I've been using for the last 22 years or so. I've loaded 1,000's of rounds of ammo. with it. The linkage did fail on mine a few years ago, but since replacement all has been fine.

The only main problem with my Lee press, is the ram doesn't actually 'cam over' at the highest point...well, not on mine anyway! When seating bullets, it's really an advantage to have that facility on a press. It aids consitency in cartridge OAL. Cheers,
    Last edited by deeangeo; 18-10-2011 at 06:06.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

I had the top completely shear off a Lee "Reloader Press" - the cheap C type press. The press was 20 odd years old and I was trying to bump back the shoulder on some 8x57jrs cases. It just snapped straight through the web close to where you screw in the dies. I can't complain I've had my money out of it. I did however replace it with a RCBS rockchucker so something slightly more substancial.

Think you have had some good advice. Been reloading now for 25 years was warned back then to stay away from Lee kit apart from their primer tool. I have 2 presses 1 a rockchucker and the other a Harrell. The Rockchucker loads everything and almost indistructable, a new one costs almost £200 in uk you can get them cheaper on net. Watch out for the ones being sold from asia there are meant to be a few fakes around! Hope this helps

It would appear that British reloaders are more brutal on their equipment than most.

I recall seeing the priming rod of a Lee Hand Primer that was all bent up. Seems he was seating primers into some surplus 5.56 brass and didn't know about primer pocket crimping on military brass so just squeezed with both hands until the were squashed into the pockets. I often wondered who this individual maanaged to carry out his own work as he was supposed to be a trained and highly skilled mechanic I would certainly worry if he was working on my car.