Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where do you get your long range weather forecasts?

Where do you get your long range weather forecasts?

Hi all,

Me and the family are off up to Scotland next Friday (21st) Going to be in an old stalkers lodge up near Glencarron. As i understand it the track to the lodge is about 10 kms long and we're in a hired Defender. There's talk of snow from some of you boys up there, so I'm just wondering where you all get your long range forecasts and what degree of accuracy have you found with them? We'll stock up anyway, but it would be nice to know if there's any chance we'll be snowed in. That way we can make sure there's enough to drink and we have enough bog paper.

All the best,
    Nick
    Last edited by digger9523; 16-10-2011 at 12:39.
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

For what it is worth I use metcheck - www.metcheck.com as they will do a forecast 2 weeks in advance when their site is working. They have frequent problems with the site.

My experience is that a forecast 2 weeks in advance is worth what you paid for it but sometimes it can give some indication of a general trend.

The Countryfile weather for the week ahead is also well worth watching and i guess you can get it on the iPlayer. Like all things Countryfile it is very much aimed at those inside the M25 but you can often get some idea of a general trend and general wind direction from it. They are unlikely to give any sort of accurate indication of snow as, of course, it doesn't snow inside the M25 in October.

I saw someone post on here a little while back saying he thought the snow was down to about 2600 feet in his area of Scotland. Next week is to get cooler so I'd guess that increases the chances.

Metcheck.com or Met office website.

If you have an iPhone there is a Met office app that once downloaded onto your phone will give you a 5 day forcast at your exact location (so long as gps is switched on)

If you are in the highlands then the best is probably the Mountain weather information service - usually best up to three days in advance www dot mwis.org.uk/nw.php will cover the north west

Julie

If you are below 400 metres, you should be in receipt of that wet clag known as sleet!.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

The best weather forecast by far is the Norwegian one www.yr.no
    Incredibly accurate.

Thanks for your help folks! That's why i asked on here, loads of locals to where we're going, much better than HSBC!
    Owning a gun or knife and not using it, is akin to not sleeping with your girlfriend to keep her neat and tidy for the next bloke.

I recon you will be fine, i think ther will be snow early in the week then brightening up by wednesday afternoon. I am keeping an eye out as i am out in Gel Lyon on thursday so hoping for fair weather, unlike thurs and fri last week - hill fog, rain, changeable winds...... still managed 3 stags in 2 days though!

Quote Originally Posted by finnbear270 View Post
    If you are below 400 metres, you should be in receipt of that wet clag known as sleet!.
    From what i see on the Landranger we're between 300-350 at the lodge, so praps a bit of sleet will be all we get. Thanks again folks!

XC Weather forget the rest