Deer dogs on pheasant!!!!

sinbad

Took my 17month old GWP Griff on our first pheasant shoot of the season saturday:rolleyes:
Drew a peg first push (we are mainly a walked up shoot with some standing guns)
First shot I got a nice cock bird that glided down into the woods at the side of me! Griff did lift his rear as it went by but held position (great start)
Second shot saw a hen crashing down into the same wood, still no attempt to run in:):)
2 pigeons followed, tried a right and left but missed the 2nd one.
The pigeon went down in the field and the next guns lab ran in to retrieve, Griff did start to go but held to whistle (wow)
At the end of the drive I sent him on to retrieve the 2nd bird in the wood, followed him in as he hadnt retrieved after a few minutes:oops: Found him pointing the hen 8ft up in amongst the branches of the tree it had crashed into :lol::lol::lol:.
Poked it out with a stick, then sent him back for the cock bird I had shot first, text book retrieve on that one.
Next drive got walking gun on the side of a thick hedgerow with a stream running through it.
Got 2 really good points and he sat to flush, shot 2 more hens both were runners, not ideal but they were a long way out, and as no other dog was on my side sent him for both, brought them both to hand still alive (will be skinning them tonite to check for teeth marks)
At this point I had my limit of 2 brace for the day and decided put the gun away to concentrate on griff for the last 2 drives,
During the break lots of praise on how well he was doing and comments like, cant believe how well behaved he is for a GWP :D:D
Then the next drive:doh::doh::doh:
As we set off I sent him on along the set aside at the edge of a wood. There is a small depression fifty yds along full of the usual junk that farmers tend to fill holes with, he slid to a halt on the edge of it did a feeble point then dived headlong in to the tip emerging on the other side in hot pursuit of a fox (oh s**t) :doh:my fellow guns were then treated to a display of foxhunting GWP style.
As an experienced trainer once told me, this is not to be considered a failure just another training oppotunity.
Roll on next week then.
Still the proudest dog owner that day secretly a little miffed he didnt get the fox:lol::lol::lol:
Sinbad

To do that at 17 months must mean that either he is either a very early developer or you're a very good trainer or maybe both. Sounds like he is going to be a good one. By the way, if I ever shoot a runner it's because they were a long way out too ;). I wonder if anyone has ever shot a close runner?

I took my GWP on her first day beating yesterday as well, she held steady and for a youngster I was very happy with her performance.

The only down side was after spending time gutting and plucking a plump bird ready for the slow cooker I turned my back for a few minutes only to find upon my return the bird missing and the dog no where to be seen. The gready theiving bitch was found a short time later under a tree in my garden crunching through the last of the rib cage.:doh:

Last edited:
He has always been the exact opposite of what a GWP is meant to be like, He does have his moments as with the fox but he has been a pleasure to train from 4months old when I got him.
I have never trained a pointer before so am learning more than the dog.
The biggest thing so far is never ever take your eyes off a GWP when out as the moment you do every thing kicks off.
Sinbad

Sounds like he will be a good one, just be a bit careful of over exposing him at such an early age, nothing ruins a well-trained dog quicker than taking him shooting in company.

I had my GWP on a duck flight last night; she worked at least as well as the Labrador that was on our pond picking ducks off the water after we had finish, and that was her first time duck flighting.:D

Well done,

Tahr

Hi Cadex
You have to own one to understand them dont you mate:rolleyes::lol:
Great feeling when they behave though isnt it:D
Sinbad

Hi Thar
I have a cunning plan mate, I am going to use my vehicle to transport some of the guns each shoot day, If he has a melt down early on straight back into the motor, if he behaves max of 2 drives for him always on the outer edge of the drive away from other dogs if possible (be able to watch the fox hunting in private then without all the cheering)

I agree mate, they are a fantastic breed of dog...

Full of personality !!!

Wouldn't be without mine now.

Post a picture if you have one.

Hi Thar
I have a cunning plan mate, I am going to use my vehicle to transport some of the guns each shoot day, If he has a melt down early on straight back into the motor, if he behaves max of 2 drives for him always on the outer edge of the drive away from other dogs if possible (be able to watch the fox hunting in private then without all the cheering)

Sounds like you are on top of it mate:thumb:, don't worry too much about the fox hunting, my 6 months old pup was hell bent on catching one the other day, she stopped on the whistle, eventually:rolleyes:, her mum hates them just wants them dead, but she dropped immediately, the wife says the only thing she is afraid of is me.:-|
ATB

Tahr

Back