Duracoat finish Prizxe - Comparison test

admin

Administrator
I have received the information below from the people at Jagersport. It was sent to me to impress upon me the superior quality of their product as opposed to that offered in aerosol form by some supermarkets. As it forms the basis of a prize that we are giving away I thought it appropriate to share it with everyone, here it is

I got some super dooper Homebase Duracoat multi surface paint...basically, plastikote!

I also used like for like the Duracoat Firearm finish in exactly the same form, aerosol. As ive said the Homebase offering would not ambient dry so I put the barrel in the oven for one hour! The Duracoat Firearms finish was touch dry in 20 minutes and overnight cured in one hour. The Homebase offering was still tacky after the hours oven cure, however, ive left it until now to do the solvant test.

Pictures below:

This the homebase offering, I gave it the bigger surface area just so it couldnt be called unfair..but im sure it will!

Dura1.jpg

Note the uneven finish, which is typical of this type of paint.

Here is the other half of the barrel with the Duracoat Firearm finish.

Dura2.jpg

Not the very even finish and less sheen.

The next photo shows what happened to both finishes when Shppters choice is applied with a Q-tip. The one on the left, the homebase offering has come off completely showing bare surface.

The one on the right is the Duracoat Firearm Finish which is intact but shows a surface blemish.

This is not the 2 pack system I use, which doesnt shift with solvants.

Dura3.jpg

Now as ive said, this could be useful to those who want a quick fix (Dont want to pay me £95 for a barreled action) or play around, but in my opinion it doesnt have the properties you require as a corrosion/abrasion resistant firearm coating.

Now that is out of the way I would like to mention that the response to the competition in the first 15 days of the month was terrific, about twice as many entries as usual. However since then there has not been one correct entry for the magazine subscription which is on offer to the winner of our second part of this months competition..

John

Years ago I cut down an old BSA 12/15 to make a "Truck Rifle". The rifle cost me £2 to buy. I cut the barrel back to about 16 inches which I was informed was the optimum lenght for a .22 rimfire. I silver soldered a Parker Hale V block scope rail to the barrel and re-crowned it using a brass dome headed srew in an electric drill using grinding paste.
I then refinished all the metalwork in a coat of Hammerite paint after failing to achieve a satisfactory finish with cold blue.
I found this to be one of the most accurate .22 rifles I have ever shot, grouping easily on a sixpence at 50yds. Obviously due to the lack of a safety the rifle was only loaded immediately prior to shooting, but I took dozens of rabbits with this rifle and three or four foxes also using HV ammo. Hammerite proved to be an extremly durable finish and ideal for my TWO POUND rifle. If I were ever to build another work rifle where looks were not an issue I would certainly consider using it again. Thinking back it wasn't many years ago the forces used to paint weapons with very similar paints for practical reasons.

In my experience on cars, even after grinding to bare metal, steam and then acetone cleaning, priming, cleaning etc hammerite often forms tiny pin prick holes.

Coach enamel is much better stuff if you want to protect and protect against rust, wouldn't paint a rilfe in ether hammerite or coach enamel though!

Yes i am sure i entered the right answer also but hey i have been know to b wrong .
PS I think most people are missing the point about the Duracoat it is a DIY offering and i am sure that people who want to paint there rifle for what ever reason should have the choice. With regards shine etc and drying that has got to be the biggest load of crap i have seen written the contents of the tin are the same as the Duracoat multi surface paint from America. iTS THE SAME STUFF AND LIKE ALL PAINT NEEDS THE RIGHT PREPERATION OR IT WILL LOOK CRAP. ;) .
wITH REGARDS THE PRIZE I THOUGHT JAYB SAID THE RIFLE WAS TO GET PARKERISED .NOW THATS DIFFERNT STUFF YOU NEED TO GO TO TESCO FOR THAT :lol: :lol: :lol:

6.5 x 55, said.

wITH REGARDS THE PRIZE I THOUGHT JAYB SAID THE RIFLE WAS TO GET PARKERISED .NOW THATS DIFFERNT STUFF YOU NEED TO GO TO TESCO FOR THAT

No No NO, that's PARK AND RIDE!! :lol:

Gents, I have a confession to make. Those of you that had entered the second competition for the month were absolutely right and I was wrong :oops:

I had forgotten to tell the system what the correct answer was, but when I told it, all the clever people with the right answer, their names popped up. So we have entries for the second half of the month, and it is very nice to see many of te new members amongst them.

John

Back