Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 243 privvi brass neck neck tension anomoly

243 privvi brass neck neck tension anomoly

does anyone reload Privvi brass successfully?

reloaded some 243 for a friend and 5 out of 15 had very slack neck tension...could easily push them in with my thumb when seated.
    I can measure the outer neck accurately and they all seem very similar but have no accurate way of measuring neck thickness.
    My sizer sizes from the outside not from the inside.

works perfectly well on Lapua, Federal, Norma, RWS, and Winchester but gave me some very odd results with Privvi.

I have crimped them and will see what they do but just wondered if anyone else had seen this?

I reloaded 20 the other day using a Lee classic reloader, and all of them seem fine. The classic loader only neck sizes, and from the outside too.

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    does anyone reload Privvi brass successfully?

reloaded some 243 for a friend and 5 out of 15 had very slack neck tension...could easily push them in with my thumb when seated.
    I can measure the outer neck accurately and they all seem very similar but have no accurate way of measuring neck thickness.
    My sizer sizes from the outside not from the inside.

works perfectly well on Lapua, Federal, Norma, RWS, and Winchester but gave me some very odd results with Privvi.

I have crimped them and will see what they do but just wondered if anyone else had seen this?
    Usually with old brass, or a Lee Collet Die that is improperly adjusted. Those reasons, or the brass was a bum lot to begin with.~Muir

once fired
    no adjustment possible on the "whack a loader"

I am going with bum brass to begin with

I had a similar experience with other brass and guess what?
    It was me thinking I had applied the same pressure but I hadn't.
    Lesson learned.

I have a lot of privvi brass in .223 not had any problems reloading them yet!!
    Sinbad

I reload Privvi brass in 30.06 and never had a problem, this is with an RCBS neck sizing die in an O frame press, I have heard of two people having the same problem, but in both cases it was with a Lee neck sizer

I use RCBS neck sizer dies in the calibres I use and have had no problems reloading PPU brass in .222, .243, .308 and 30-06.
    I can't get the hang of the collet die so went over to RCBS.

Well, stating the obvious, the problem lies either with your die or with the brass. If you can, try a different die. (What brand are you sing?) Failing that, take 10 of the offending cases and anneal the necks. Then resize them with your die and see if that improves matters. If the neck are work hardened (I know you say they're once fired) then they won't resize properly.

-JMS

Quote Originally Posted by hangfire View Post
    I reload Privvi brass in 30.06 and never had a problem, this is with an RCBS neck sizing die in an O frame press, I have heard of two people having the same problem, but in both cases it was with a Lee neck sizer
    You're confusing two different bits of kit, with contrasting methods of operation. Conventional NSZ dies, such as RCBS & Redding, work just like FLRSZ dies. The difference between standard NSZ dies and FLRSZ dies is that the case body of the NSZ dies is enlarged to retain the close fit of fired case to chamber. The neck-sizing process is exactly the same with standard FLRSZ and NSZ dies.

Lee Collet NSZ dies work on a different principle. As it's not a mechanical operation, it needs some practice from the operator to get the bullet grip right. Some people don't have the patience to develop the technique, so CNSZ dies aren't for everyone. The reason is that the mandrels are only 1/1000" under calibre size. You've got to employ a 'standard squeeze' on the press handle to close the collet jaws on the neck, and then down on to the mandrel. Thin case necks such as Hornady Frontier cases don't work well. but standard weight cases such as Prvi (PPU or nny headstamp)work okay.

Using Lee CNSZ dies avoids case cleaning, case lubing, sticky fingers, and speeds up case prep. It also virtually eliminates case stretching from FLR or NSZ dies, and the chore of trimming cases afterwards.

I had some problems when I first started so now keep an up-ended dummy round in whatever calibre I'm using (.224 thru' .308) and pop the CNSZ'd neck of the case I've just done on to this to check I've reduced the inner diameter enough.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.