Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: stag cull almost done

stag cull almost done

almost got the required stag cull finished this weekend, only 3 off the mark so good enough. Some weather in argyll this weekend!!! sadly it was so poor visibility all Saturday was almost a write off, but despite the weather, managed to cull a spiker, a small 6 pointer, and two yearling button buck/stags that were still in velvet at only around 2-3" - very poor animals those two.

Another 2 similar button stags with velvet and a few more spikers I would have loved to get my hands on before the end of the season, but alas, weather just didn't permit and stole half of my available days for the cull this year.

Not to tread on old sensitive threads, but the .243 once again underperformed on the hill stags. I found they dropped more slowly, making consecutive culls almost impossible as you needed to keep watching the first beast to ensure it dropped before placing a shot on a second cull beast.

Coincidentally, a 175 yd shot in a very swift crosswind (very good shot may I add), incurred a measured 7" drift, resulting a a slight gut shot, and requiring a follow up shot. Again, the light .243 bullet not helping buck the wind.

All in all, given the conditions over the last few weekends, a good result with only 3 beasts short of the desired cull number, but with a larger caliber, dropping the stags faster and with more authority, and will less drift issues to deal with, I am convinced I would have been able to take more animals from the groups, once again in my book confirming that there's no place for a .243 on the hill, it really is too small. I have given it a number of seasons now with the .243, and can compare post-shot behaviour to having used the Swede (and stalked with Swede users) and also long ago a .30-06, and I can with confidence and oberservation say that the .243 simply does NOT deliver equally effective terminal performance to larger calibers.

I have to agree. My .270 with 140 gr accubonds is fantastic at consistently doing the job. It seems to be the ideal rifle for all tasks, thus far no munties seen in Highland Perthsire!

For Roe I use a 130gr softpoint which is pretty forgiving.

Thats a interesting read as i have often wondered what people think as at present i only shoot Roe but would like to get a lease with Red on it and i use a .243

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka-scot View Post
    Thats a interesting read as i have often wondered what people think as at present i only shoot Roe but would like to get a lease with Red on it and i use a .243

cheers
    .243 is not everyones cup of tea but we are allmost at the end of another stag season, shooting a good number of hill stags a big percentage of which were shot with the estate rifle .243 only had one runner which the client managed to shoot in the jaw, so would have run regardles of calibre.

Quote Originally Posted by bogtrotter View Post
    .243 is not everyones cup of tea but we are allmost at the end of another stag season, shooting a good number of hill stags a big percentage of which were shot with the estate rifle .243 only had one runner which the client managed to shoot in the jaw, so would have run regardles of calibre.
    Always good to hear the other side of the story too bog, so thanks for that However, I'd be interested to know the average time for a beast to drop (and assumed to remain down), compared to say an aught six with a 180g round or similar. I haven't done an 'clinical' study, but have subjectively compared the .243 to esp. the 6.5 (with a 140g round) over the last few years, and in alsmost 100% of the cases of identical bullet placement, post-shot behaviour was significantly more active with the .243.

not to get into that old argument again, just thought I'd share my experiences to maybe help someone starting out on reds make a decision based on a more rounded understanding of the subject, rather than having the FLD stating the .243 is 'sufficient' for reds with 100g ammo, and then getting disappointed or put off by the results.

...The jaw?..very poor shot I imagine, or was the bugger trying a neck/head shot?

Just to throw another spanner in the deep end -Ive been on many a cull of one species or another but am not a full time stalker .I use a .243 and maybe another take on your shortfall is this .Having shot a stag or anything else for that matter ,if you had confidence in the set up and were sure of the shot you would be onto another beast not giving the first a second thought about whether it needed another shot and how how far it would be 'running dead'.Maybe its your own confidence that needs uprating rather than the rifle .Ive seen stag culls ,hind culls first hand but never participated in the 'culling' of reds and every stalker ive been with has dropped the necessary number without a second glance at the previous victim and some with a .243 .Not a go at you personally mate ,just another take on the .243 argument and something to think about .

Quote Originally Posted by foxdropper View Post
    Just to throw another spanner in the deep end -Ive been on many a cull of one species or another but am not a full time stalker .I use a .243 and maybe another take on your shortfall is this .Having shot a stag or anything else for that matter ,if you had confidence in the set up and were sure of the shot you would be onto another beast not giving the first a second thought about whether it needed another shot and how how far it would be 'running dead'.Maybe its your own confidence that needs uprating rather than the rifle .Ive seen stag culls ,hind culls first hand but never participated in the 'culling' of reds and every stalker ive been with has dropped the necessary number without a second glance at the previous victim and some with a .243 .Not a go at you personally mate ,just another take on the .243 argument and something to think about .
    Appreciate your comments, but consider this. You take a stag in a group of 5 young cull beasts, H/L shot, it starts to stagger immediately. You move on to the next, H/L shot you believe, same behaviour, you move on to the next, same situation. Then suddenly you see two of the stags (or both if you only culled two) start running off over the open hill in opposite directions. It's raining hard, it's visibility is 100 to 150 yds.

You approach the spot where shot, one is dead, two are missing. You are sure they were both perfect shots, but there's no sign of the beasts. You are 3 miles from your Argo and it gets dark in 2hrs.

what do you do?

PKL ...................... only YOU the person actually on the hill at that time can decide what is best. Others like myself sitting at a keyboard many miles from the hills cannot in reality and honesty see what you see, experience the weather conditions, nor the beasts so it HAS to be YOUR call.

The .243 Win has proved itself time and time again and yet has also be found lacking time and time again. No two beasts are the same and no two situations are the same. I'll admit that in you situation I would be using a heavier calibre but that's just MY CHOICE . it's not saying others are wrong just what I would choose/use.

I'll be hitting the stags next year with a Barratt 50 - no dancing around after they've been hit, and butchered and jointed before you even managed to cycle another round..he he he

Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Appreciate your comments, but consider this. You take a stag in a group of 5 young cull beasts, H/L shot, it starts to stagger immediately. You move on to the next, H/L shot you believe, same behaviour, you move on to the next, same situation. Then suddenly you see two of the stags (or both if you only culled two) start running off over the open hill in opposite directions. It's raining hard, it's visibility is 100 to 150 yds.

You approach the spot where shot, one is dead, two are missing. You are sure they were both perfect shots, but there's no sign of the beasts. You are 3 miles from your Argo and it gets dark in 2hrs.

what do you do?
    Like i said ,confidence in the set up mate ,and a dog is handy too ,ney a must and if all those points you mention are on the cards then you have no humane reason to pull the trigger in the first place .