Thread: Best introduction to a shoot.

Best introduction to a shoot.

A friend and mentor has taken me along to take a few few muntjac and roe on a nearby shoot. It's Beautiful, well kept, brimming with rare bats, butterflies and chock full of birds.

I was lucky enough to get two high seats with stunning views on Saturday for dawn and we were asked to keep an eye out for a big dog fox which was working his way through their birds.

After 40 minutes or so of looking at the view, smiling to myself I was there, the owner came up behind me to say they had spotted him on the far side of the shoot and I was to move around in the landy and cut him off. At just that moment a fox appeared from the hedge 250 yards ahead of me and walked through the field.

I dropped something off the seat, stupidly, and the fox moved away, but at the last moment it looked back at me as it was about to enter woodland 150 yards along the hedge, I had just taken in the pressure when it stopped 10 yards before so I squeezed. To delighted whooping from below the seat:

In under the right ear, out above the left. No japes about luck please Andy!

I got moved to another seat where I now know there are plenty munties and at least two Bucks that ran past this morning without a shot being possible.

I'll be back in this seat in a few weeks (hols this week), there are two more rides to the left of this shot.

Happy chappy me, and a very lucky boy.
    Last edited by Dougster; 17-10-2011 at 12:05. Reason: Ears wrong way around.

SD Regular
    Well done Dougster - a great intro to your shooting career - more to come I'm sure. Speak soon

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

always good to do everyone a favour and kill "charlie"

Well done - cracking start.

And didnt you do well NOT inadvertantly dropping the magazine out of the rifle......

....... almost forgot - what was it that did drop from the high seat?

Seriously - well done. Good result.

Readers - no disrespect intended to Dougster - an old friend. Really would normally have kept quiet, but one has to live up to expectations
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Moray Outfitting View Post
    Well done - cracking start.

And didnt you do well NOT inadvertantly dropping the magazine out of the rifle......

....... almost forgot - what was it that did drop from the high seat?

Seriously - well done. Good result.

Readers - no disrespect intended to Dougster - an old friend. Really would normally have kept quiet, but one has to live up to expectations
    I wouldn't expect anything less. I'm still sewing that J for my back, that way it won't fall off.