Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First time deer stalking in North Yorkshire

First time deer stalking in North Yorkshire

I would like to share my first deer stalking experience withyou. I am originally from Belarus and have done quite a bit of wild boarshooting in the past. However I always wanted to go deer stalking in the UK andI was told by my mate that there is a website that I could use in order to findshoots near where I live. I think it is called guns-on-pegs.co.uk, not 100%sure though. So I went on it and saw an advert from the company 'sweethill landmanagement' for roe buck stalking. It was not too pricey so I decided to giveit a go. Gave them a phone call , they were very polite and professional and wehave sorted out all the arrangements without any problems.

Even though I am an experienced wild boar shooter I do nothave a rifle or a car in the UK but thatwas not a problem as the company provided a rifle and transport from thestation to the shooting location (North Yorkshire). It was quite a hot day andbecause of that it was a challenge in every way. When the sun started setting,the overall light was still very good and we saw 6 deer on one of the fieldsabout 1000 meters away from us. We had to get closer to them pretty quickly asit was getting dark so we started moving towards them. We have used wind to ouradvantage, while locating the best buck. There was still plenty of light and wehad good stability for the shot. Unfortunately we could not get closer thanabout 250 yards to them but that was not the main issue. The main issue was thefact that I was absolutely sh*tting myself due to lack of experience in deerstalking, even though i have shot plenty of wild boar in the past! I havemissed the first shot which went well over and deer did not even move. Ithappened because I could not get my breathing right and my hands were shakingtoo much. Then I was told that I would not be able to take the second shot if Ididnt get my breath right so I had to calm down (probably a good idea). Thesecond shot I fired went through the liver and lungs which isn’t too bad for250 yards distance,I suppose. Overall, I had an amazing experience in safe andcapable hands and hopefully will be going back again before the end of theseason.

I would like to use this opportunity to say thanks to ‘SweethillLand Management’ for good organisation of the day as everything from their sidewas done to a very highstandard.
    Last edited by leoprestige; 17-10-2011 at 15:56.

First shot at a deer 250yds when its getting dark and with no experience expect some flak incoming .

Erm, where to start! What kind of a guide buts a novice in front of a deer at 250 yds with failing light. I don't blame the stalker I blame the guide. What a pile of

Did he mention the liver is not part of the target area? Again I don't want to put you down as you did nothing wrong, your guide did. The liver is not something you should be hitting and the deer could have run and run and run before it was caught up with if at all. I bet when it went down on the second shot he said well done despite him knowing the shot was no on target.

For goodness sake do not book with them again, go to someone like yorkshirestalking- john robson, he sounds like he will put you right and not make you take stupid shots.

To everyone else on here, lets not rip this novice apart, just make some offers to make him, obviously not free, but to make him realise how unnecessary that shot was. At the end of the day you always have another day to go out rather than take a risky shot. I am sure someone on here will show you the proper way to stalk. Although you will probably still shake when in front of your next deer, at 50 to 100 yds you have far more margin for error.

ATB

SS

Good words SS could not agree more

Quote Originally Posted by southern_stalker View Post
    Erm, where to start! What kind of a guide buts a novice in front of a deer at 250 yds with failing light. I don't blame the stalker I blame the guide. What a pile of

Did he mention the liver is not part of the target area? Again I don't want to put you down as you did nothing wrong, your guide did. The liver is not something you should be hitting and the deer could have run and run and run before it was caught up with if at all. I bet when it went down on the second shot he said well done despite him knowing the shot was no on target.

For goodness sake do not book with them again, go to someone like yorkshirestalking- john robson, he sounds like he will put you right and not make you take stupid shots.

To everyone else on here, lets not rip this novice apart, just make some offers to make him, obviously not free, but to make him realise how unnecessary that shot was. At the end of the day you always have another day to go out rather than take a risky shot. I am sure someone on here will show you the proper way to stalk. Although you will probably still shake when in front of your next deer, at 50 to 100 yds you have far more margin for error.

ATB

SS
    +1

Dave

Not looking good for sweethill - there is already an arguement going on about this syndicate and its land thats locked on another thread.

Ummmm

just looked
    just joined with a thread like this, is it a set up??
    Could be making it up with the point of tarnishing a name??
    Last edited by www.yorkshireroestalking.; 17-10-2011 at 14:19. Reason: look at the evidence??

SD Regular
    No disrespect to you leo , but ive said it before ,
    Blind leading the blind !
    This is the exact same reason that i withdrew my membership from Sweethill .

Ive never looked back , shot another doe this morning with a proffesional guide and a true gent at half the cost of Sweethill .
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

I'm a little suspicious at the timing of this account, particularly as the user in question registered two accounts on the same day from the same IP... I am watching closely...

if this is correct it is very unprofessional and very bad practise ,maybe someone from sweethill will give there account ,if it isnt correct i would be looking for them!