Thread: BBC Website: Why do more deer-related accidents happen in the Autumn

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)

BBC Website: Why do more deer-related accidents happen in the Autumn

O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

A quote from said article,"To effectively control a deer population of two million you would have to cull about 30,000 a year. It's quite a lot"....this does not seem enough!!

quote: "The Highways Agency has introduced preventative measures in certain hot spots, including warning signs and fencing. It has also been looking at ways to encourage deer to use existing footbridges or underpasses, rather than wander into the road."

Hmmmm
    "It's halfway down the hill, directly below that tree next to a rock that looks like a bell-end"

Good deals with ~ deako ~ sakowsm ~ dryan ~ 2734neil ~ mo ~ riggers ~ mmbeatle ~ seanct ~ an du ru fox

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Duncs View Post
    A quote from said article,"To effectively control a deer population of two million you would have to cull about 30,000 a year. It's quite a lot"....this does not seem enough!!
    Yes, they seem to be missing at least a zero from that....and even then it would only constitute a 15% cull.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

I think Peter Watson may be missing a few reasons there!!!
    It is an area I've given much thought to over recent years as I've noticed that I get a lot more RTA callouts at certain periods.
    Here are some more reasons why I believe RTA's are more prevalent at this time of year:

• Most game shoots start about now. Deer are chased out of woods and game cover which they have been using as cover. This is most obvious on Saturdays during the daytime when roads are also generally quite busy.
    • As well as days getting shorter, we suddenly adjust the clocks by an hour resulting in 'rush hour' coinciding with when the deer normally begin to move!
    • Most crops are now harvested which means the deer have to travel further to find good food. Particularly noticeable as the last of the sugar beet is lifted around here.
    • Fog!! We start to get foggy mornings and evenings at this time of year which is definitely a major factor.
    • Fireworks!!! The lead up to bonfire night which seems to take longer these days can frighten and displace deer. Also, all the bonfires seem to create a lot of 'smog' which takes us back to the point about 'Fog'.
    • Frost!! Deer tend to feed earlier in the evenings and later in the mornings to avoid having to eat frosted vegetation.
    • The rut which was mentioned obviously only involves the larger species at this time of year!
    There may be more that I have missed, but probably not as many as they missed in the article!
    MS
    Last edited by Monkey Spanker; 17-10-2011 at 16:16.