Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help case jammed

Help case jammed

Hi asking on behalf of a mate who reloads.
    He has a .270 case jammed in a full length sizing die (RCBS). Any ideas how to release it?

Cheers, Mark.

There is a tool available from RCBS etc but if you go on you tube there are quite a few examples of how to do it, which might give some ideas.

Last time I had this happen....& that's a while ago now, I managed to extract the decap rod completely and place a metal dowel rod (Case neck internal dia.) through the top into the case. I reasonable smack down with a hammer did the trick. No damage to anything other than the case.
    Cheers,
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

If you are near Consett I'll take it apart for you.

Thanks to all who replied. I just watched a video on youtube after being advised to do so by a member here. Very informative, and although I've only ever watched my mate reloading, I feel sure with a lathe and a few other engineering tools I can fabricate a puller to remove it.

I'll let you know,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Mark

Ive used a dremmel to grind through the side of the case before now which worked a treat. I didnt go all the way through the brass, just enough to split it once it was thin enough. start at the side of the neck and slowly work up until the neck can be split.

in edit: Thats after levering it out of the die using a vice and claw hammer!
    Last edited by limulus; 17-10-2011 at 22:51.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by deeangeo View Post
    Last time I had this happen....& that's a while ago now, I managed to extract the decap rod completely and place a metal dowel rod (Case neck internal dia.) through the top into the case. I reasonable smack down with a hammer did the trick. No damage to anything other than the case.
    Cheers,
    +1 simples

I hada a stuck case remover from RCBS but lent it out. When I needed it, I went to the hardware store and bought a stack of washers with a half-inch hole through them, a washer with a 1/4" hole through it, a 1/4 x 20TPI tap and the appropriate drill. I drilled out the primer pocket after loosening and backing out the decapping rod. I tapped it. I then stacked the washers (with the 1/4" holed one on top) over the protruding case head. I put in a 1/4-20 Allen Head screw and tightened it down, jacking the case out of the die. Cost me $5 US total and still lies in a drawer on my reloading bench.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 18-10-2011 at 04:00.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I hada a stuck case remover from RCBS but lent it out. When I needed it, I went to the hardware store and bought a stack of washers with a half-inch hole through them, a washer with a 1/4" hole through it, a 1/4 x 20TPI tap and the appropriate drill. I drilled out the primer pocket after loosening and backing out the decapping rod. I tapped it. I then stacked the washers (with the 1/4" holed one on top) over the protruding case head. I put in a 1/4-20 Allen Head screw and tightened it down, jacking the case out of the die. Cost me $5 US total and still lies in a drawer on my reloading bench.~Muir
    That's exactly how i saw it done on the youtube video, might have even been you Muir! 1/4 inch 20 tpi sounds like Whit or UNC to me! Lucky day as I happen to have both taps, drills and allen bolts in that size. I asked the guy to post it down to me as I have a lathe and he doesn't. Sounds simple enough, thanks to all.

Mark.

With the RCBS you just use the nut on top of the decapping rod to screw it out then you drill a hole in the primmer end iv done it to take an M8 bolt then get a washer over a 3/8ths socket & screw it out done easy.