Thread: doe season

doe season

Its that time again,the doe season starts soon.big question with different answers.mother first then young or other way about.

Depends on the pressure you're under to hit a cull target, or if you're just culling a few on a small private rent. If you need to work hard to hit the 'numbers', start with the kids in the first half of the season, then progress to 'whatever it takes' in the second half (as if doe is necessary, kid is more likely to survive with a couple more months under its belt), but if 'possible' kid first always should be in your mind.
    If it becomes necessary because hitting the 'numbers' is pivotal to maintaining a healthy balance, consider doe first then kid, with the view of taking the kid in the second shot.

I guess, the best answer is, it depends,,but personally, I would never take the doe unless I had to.

Quote Originally Posted by taln View Post
    Its that time again,the doe season starts soon.big question with different answers.mother first then young or other way about.
    I asked a similar question a while ago - here's the link

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.u...e-or-Kid-first

kid first every time - unless you have a cull figure to reach pretty quickly.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!

Shoot what ever you like, kids are not dependant at this time of the year.

Fill your boots .

Fawn first until Christmas if you can then after what ever gives you the chance.

Quote Originally Posted by widows son View Post
    Shoot what ever you like, kids are not dependant at this time of the year.

Fill your boots .
    Disagree to an extent - may not be dependant by definition, but still learning the ropes and some still do feed from the Doe for a long time. Why do you think the practice of shooting one of two kids away is in place when there are harsh winters coming?..more food for thought