Left Handed Rifle in 30-06 or 7x64

Heym SR20

I have just stumbled across this forum and it looks very useful.

I currently use a left handed Heym SR 20 in .243 - very accurate with RWS 100gn (clover leafs with three rounds) and is fine for roe and hinds. I have on my ticket space for a .30 calibre and am thinking of the 30-06, for use on Reds up in the hills and also overseas on plains game in Africa and boar on the continent. I have been mulling this over for a couple of years now, but have yet to commit.

Since deciding on the 30-06, I have found out that 30-06 as a military calibre is illegal in France, and since I have in laws in France, France is a likely destination, thus it makes 30-06 not a good choice.

My 2nd choice is thus the 7x64 - fast and flat with 140gn bullet, but capable of shooting 178gn for boar and bigger stuff in Africa.

As to the choice of Rifle

1) Have the Heym rebarralled to 7x64 by Border barrels- it has a long action so can handle the cartridge - but it it is a lovely rifle and I don't want to b.... it up

2) Buy an off the shelf Sako 75, Remy 700, Ruger 77 or Tika T3. But don't particularly like any of them. I could go up to the Sauer 202 - but not sure of the safety in the trigger guard. Mauser M03 is nice but expensive.

3) Alternative is to build a custom rifle around a left handed action - either an old Sako if I can find one, or to import (and have a friendly dealer who will do so) a controlled round feed action or barrelled action from either Montana Rifles - http://www.montanarifleman.com/, or if the gods favour me www.rifleactions.com (more expensive but do a beautiful modern rendition of the mauser / winchester mod 70.

Any body any thoughts

Hi

I use the 7x64 in a Sauer. Excellent hunting caliber and the reloading components are easy to access. Ammunition also easy to buy in Europe.
Have no fear with the safety on a Sauer I no its not what one is used to but it is truely excellent and cannot easily get disrupted as the trigger guard protects it.

Mark

Totally agree with you, Mark. I have a Sauer 202 which is a left-hooker and the safety in the trigger guard has never really been an issue. The only thing that I do not like about it is that you have to put your finger very near the trigger to disengage safety when you want to open the bolt and empty the chamber. You soon get used to it though.

Heym SR20 said:
I have just stumbled across this forum and it looks very useful.

I currently use a left handed Heym SR 20 in .243 - very accurate with RWS 100gn (clover leafs with three rounds) and is fine for roe and hinds. I have on my ticket space for a .30 calibre and am thinking of the 30-06, for use on Reds up in the hills and also overseas on plains game in Africa and boar on the continent. I have been mulling this over for a couple of years now, but have yet to commit.

Since deciding on the 30-06, I have found out that 30-06 as a military calibre is illegal in France, and since I have in laws in France, France is a likely destination, thus it makes 30-06 not a good choice.

My 2nd choice is thus the 7x64 - fast and flat with 140gn bullet, but capable of shooting 178gn for boar and bigger stuff in Africa.

As to the choice of Rifle

1) Have the Heym rebarralled to 7x64 by Border barrels- it has a long action so can handle the cartridge - but it it is a lovely rifle and I don't want to b.... it up

2) Buy an off the shelf Sako 75, Remy 700, Ruger 77 or Tika T3. But don't particularly like any of them. I could go up to the Sauer 202 - but not sure of the safety in the trigger guard. Mauser M03 is nice but expensive.

3) Alternative is to build a custom rifle around a left handed action - either an old Sako if I can find one, or to import (and have a friendly dealer who will do so) a controlled round feed action or barrelled action from either Montana Rifles - http://www.montanarifleman.com/, or if the gods favour me www.rifleactions.com (more expensive but do a beautiful modern rendition of the mauser / winchester mod 70.

Any body any thoughts
30-06 illegal in france can you not take 30-06 to france for boar hunting as a visitor.[/i][/b]

sauer in 7x64

Hi Heym,
I use a Sauer 202 in .243 and have just got my new 202 in 7x64. Like you I'm a left hooker, and I love the Sauer's. As said by others the safety is fine, but I agree it is rather close to the trigger, and has to be un-safe before the bolt can be opened. If you want anything different from Sauer e.g. left handed, different woodwork or unusual calbre be prepared for a long wait. Mine was five months! (Left handed, 7x64, and stutzen forend wood). If you live anywhere near Uxbridge, West London, you are welcome to have a look at mine before commiting to buy.
Cheers Mark. :D

No need to change from Heym, a proper rifle, quality and accuracy out of the boxand not as expensive as people may think,perfect.
I use 22-250 and 30-06 SR30`s and 458 safari model.
The RWS 180 grain rounds in the 30-06 will "clover leaf" no problems at all,but was getting expensive so used Federal 180`s and they would group 1/2 inch,good enough.
I had a Heym action barrelled to 22-250 by Border after Heym said they wouldn`t make me one (they brought their 22-250 out about 6 months later).
Border used a Scilling match barrel in a Heym action.
When they asked me what I wanted in a rifle, I told them I wanted to shoot foxes fast and flat, so they built it to shoot 40 grain hollow points, the barrel is about 2 inches longer than my 30-06,I not a technophobe so I don`t know the twist etc, but boy does it work !!! :D :D
I wouldn`t hesitate to get them to work on any rifle I had (if I needed to change anything about my rifles) they give good advice and do a cracking job.
30-06 is will do anything you want to do in U.K and plains game in Africa,mine works perfectly, if I need a larger calibre, I use my 458 (Heym too :D )

"30-06 is will do anything you want to do in U.K and plains game in Africa,mine works perfectly, if I need a larger calibre, I use my 458 (Heym too :D )"[/quote]

Fair comment, but be aware unless the French have changed their minds recently, you cannot take 30.06 in or through France. Worth considering if like me you hunt boar in Italy. Likewise if you plan to drive to anywhere in Europe, the Dover-Calais ferry is not for you if you shoot 30.06. Aside from this, but also worth checking out is the fact that many EU members don't allow sound mods. In Italy it is an offence to have the barrel threaded!

Back