Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Butchering: Splitting Haunches in to muscle groups

Butchering: Splitting Haunches in to muscle groups

Alright folks

I was jist looking for a few tips from some off the more experienced/ or master butchers on the site. I have had a bit off a search and there doesnae seem to be many threads on more advanced butchery and splitting the huanch up into the individual muscles and wot muscles/cuts are which. (more for larger deer species)

There is a very good thread i found, posted a while back by remington (no idea to post a link to it). Which covers skinning and basic butchery but he didnae split the haunch with it being a roe, a wee bit small for the hassle

I am reasonably confident with skinning and jointing deer allbeit to my very amatuerish standard.
    I can and do split the huanch on fallow but to be honest have no idea wot i'm doing, do it a different way each time and jist really poke about with my fingers till i find a join then split down it. I have no idea what muscles/cuts i'm left with for labeling for the freezer. For my personel use this is fine but i'm jist trying to improve and learn a bit more about it

Am i right in saying there should be 6 cuts off meat u end up with, Topside, Silverside, Rump ... ? etc. Does anyone know off diagrams/charts which show where they are so i can label them. I have also heard off a salmon fillet? which is a small muscle somewhere inside the haunch which is meant to be very tender and almost as good as tenderloins/fillets.

Cheers in advance

Look at the BDS DVD, it shows you how it's done.

hi countrryboy as a chefi dont like cutting the haunch into steaks so i always split roe/fallow haunches down as you have said really but you must remove all the silverskin and connective tissue feel for the muscle seperation with your fingerand you can almonst pull them apart not too fresh though too mush rigamortis makes it much harder as for labelling there no real difference beween the cuts the salmon is self explatitary once you see it dont use the last muscle on the hock its very tough next time i do one ill post a pic of the breakdown if you remove all sinew etc and marinade in oil and herbs for a few days most leg cuts are very tender

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    countryboy

As Deer Man has said, the BDS DVD is good. So, also, is Dave Stretton's DVD. For another good explanation have a look through the photos on the Best Practice website. Slides 1 to 8 in the third section on butchering describes how to cut up the haunch (http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...butcher03.aspx)

Personally, for the haunch I either bone it out and leave it whole (sometimes cutting off the sirloin to tidy things up), or I split it into the three major muscle groups and then steak it. Bear in mind that this is primarily with roe and muntjac so the haunches are quite a handy size.

So far as the different cuts, although American this diagram might help: http://www.best-venison.com/venison-cut-charts.html Or, if you prefer an English version: http://www.beecraigs.com/images/venison_cuts.gif But Google for "Venison cuts" and then click on Images - there are lots of diagrams out there.

I've not heard it called a salmon fillet but I've always been told that the fish fillets are located at the top of the chest cavity between the shoulders, as opposed to the tenderloins which are located under the pelvis and between the haunches (or that's how I'd describe them).

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...butcher03.aspx

The salmon cut is much paler than the other muscles and lies underneath the main outer muscles and is a nice tender cut of meat.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by limulus View Post
    http://www.bestpracticeguides.org.uk...butcher03.aspx

The salmon cut is much paler than the other muscles and lies underneath the main outer muscles and is a nice tender cut of meat.
    Many thanks for that - you live and learn!!
    On slide 10 I see they say that cut 4 is the salmon cut....but fool that I am I can't tell from the picture which one cut 4 is Help me here!!

butchering 10: Haunch muscle group:
    1: Thick Flank
    2: Tender Heel
    3: Silverside
    4: Salmon Cut
    5: Hind Shin
    6: Topside
    7: Rump/Chump

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

The Salmon cut it the long & thinest Muscle in the photo.
    It forms part of the silverside which is pictured below it.
    Hope this helps.

Hi Countryboy
    A good video on butchering is
    Cheers David

Whereabouts are you CB.

Martin