Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sporting rifle awards

sporting rifle awards

only just picked up sporting rifle and noticed well seems like quite alot of '' bum kissing '' ,perhaps i am just a cynic but arnt these guys just slapping each other on the back not only do they pump each others products books and medals but they feel the need to award each other lifetime achievement awards and patronages ,sounds like they just enjoyed a good pi** up and crack about how much they make to me ,hard hat on for any flack incoming ..... just read it to the wife and she said i am just a grumpy keeper with no money in the bank !thats true

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    norma308

I don't know what you mean?? You're surely not suggesting that these are anything other than coincidences:

> Simon Barr is Writer of the Year.....and writes for Sporting Rifle
    > Steve Sweeting is Journalist of the Year.....and writes for Sporting Rifle
    > Brian Phipps is Photographer of the Year.....and has photos published in Sporting Rifle

To be fair, I am a great admirer of both Simon and Brian. I'm not so keen on Steve Sweeting's articles but fair dues to him for writing them. Similarly, I think Peter Carr does an excellent job in editing Sporting Rifle, so much so that I took out a subscription at this year's Game Fair after having let it lapse for several years.

Perhaps also worthy of note is that:
    > Sporting Rifle announced at the awards the launch of a joint trophy measuring venture with BASC, where,
    > Dominic Griffith is set to lead the measuring service, and,
    > Marco Pierre-White is to be its patron, and,
    > Marco Pierre-White wrote a strongly worded article in a recent issue of Sporting Rifle taking issue with CIC measurers, and,
    > Marco Pierre-White contributed the introduction and some delicious recipes for Dominic Griffith's excellent new book "Deer Management in the UK", and,
    > "Deer Management in the UK" was runner up in the Sporting Rifle Stalking Book of the Year, and,
    > Dominic Griffith was the recipient of the Sporting Rifle Lifetime Achievement Award, and,
    > Marco Pierre-White was the recipient of the Sporting Rifle Deer Stalker of the Year Award, for his seven gold medal roebucks and his record perruque, which were
    > All measured, if I recall correctly, by the BASC measuring service

In Private Eye this would possibly come under the heading "How they are related"

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 20-10-2011 at 19:35. Reason: To clear up any misinterpretation.....
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Oh so cynical, but oh so true, not a fan of Pete Carr so have never bought the magazine, nor will I ever. As to me, it just seems like one advertisement after another for the people who slap Pete on the back hardest.

all very true!! i only buy it occasionally to look at the pictures and the classifieds!
    regards, Jez
    slowly slowly catch a monkey..

Hi all,

Just a point of clarification, its not a new BASC head measuring service, its the same system with , I hope, new medals and certificates.

SR will help to promote the results of the measurings in their mag,and at any shows where the mag is.

Still first one free for BASC members and a discounted rate for BASC members compared to non members.

Apart from that nothing at all has been agreed or finalised.

Other mags are free to record the results of the BASC measurements if they want to, and the info will all be on the BASC web site early in the new year.

Yes award ceremonies can be a bit like this - but thats just life I guess!

David

I bought it this month for obvious reasons and quite enjoyed a few of the write ups. Didn`t enjoy looking at all those things i want but will never afford.
    Wouldn`t mind winning the Zeiss scope for the price of a stamp though.
    My dads reaction was "Bugger that, 4 for a magazine of adverts"
    basil.
    https://www.justgiving.com/John-Slee/
    "He who kills sow with piglets empties the forest of boar" My neighbours dad on new years eve 2011.

David

Thank you for the reply and apologies if I mis-interpreted the article. I have edited my original post accordingly. Also, for the sake of accuracy, here is the exact wording from the latest issue of SR:

"Sporting Rifle also used the awards ceremony to announce the launch of a joint trophy measuring venture with BASC. Dominic Griffith is set to lead the measuring service, while Marco Pierre White is to be its Patron."

Hopefully this clears things up.

willie_gunn
    Last edited by willie_gunn; 20-10-2011 at 19:25.

i kind of enjoy the articles apart from the zeiss this and sako that stuff i sometimes feel that i perhaps am not quite the type of reader they may well be pitching the mag too as i cant afford a safari or lots of trophy stalking ,and i am sure marco and his chums have broad shoulders just as the cic boys had to have when he gave them a hard time through the SR

Quote Originally Posted by David BASC View Post
    Still first one free for BASC members and a discounted rate for BASC members compared to non members.
    David

I had not realised this until you pointed it out, so thank you for that

willie_gunn

willie-gunn,

No need for an apology, the statement in the article does lead the reader to come to exactly the same conclusion as you did! Wish they had sent it to us for the ok before they went to print, but never mind, no harm done.

David