Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ultra winter marathon - this time its personal

Ultra winter marathon - this time its personal

Hi all

Just a quick message really.

I am competing in what has been called The Spine Race, a 268 mile non stop winter ultra marathon across the Pennines in the month of January (yep, my thoughts exactly) I do quite a bit for charity when I can and try and find something out of the ordinary to test myself, this time I may have bitten more off than I can chew!

More information on the event can be found here

http://thespinerace.com/

I have personal reasons for my chosen charity this time, whilst I was serving in Afghanistan my mothers cancer had returned (unsuspectingly, & for a woman who has never smoked, walked the hills with the dogs every day & only drinks a white wine spritzer on a saturday evening) and the disappointing news was awaiting my arrival. The support that came from MacMillan during this difficult period was absolutely overwhelming and this is my thank you to my mothers nurse and the rest of the team, but more can be read here

www.justgiving.com/karlgbaker

Any donations or words of encouragement are more than gratefully received and I thank you in advance

Warm regards

Karl

Well done Karl. 268 miles? Rather you than me!

Thread stickyed as requested.

all the best,

Alex

Thank you Alex, when I decided to compete I rather thought they may have got the miles wrong and missed out the decimal point and really it is only 26.8 mile, but after chatting to the organisers they confirmed my worst fears!

Thank you again

Karl

Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Good luck Karl, I have done 2 marathons, they both wrote me off for a week or two, to do what you are planning is pure lunacy, Good Luck, Wishing you all the very best for it, Good Charity choice. My Mothers Cancer returned also when I was back in Afghanistan in 2009, they gave her 12 months, she lasted 12 weeks out of hospital, then her last 10 days in hospital, was very difficult.

Donation Made

TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

Karl you have my admiration in taking on this event, I have done the marathon and one of the lads that I sometime train with is into ultra-marathons, but your event is a massive one. I guess people concentrate on the event but the amount of time you are going to have to put into training is often over looked.

Best of luck with it, donation made.

ATB

Tahr

Thank you very much for both kind words and donations. I do sometimes think 'what am I thinking', but there are some great people out there, who deserve some support themselves and made known the work they do is appreciated.
    I am looking forward to the event, its the very first one and before my body gets wrecked from doing events I need to do something fundamentally 'silly!!' ;-)
    The body can only do so much, the heart and spirit will take you the rest of the way

Thank you again guys, I really appreciate it

good on you mate, im currently training for a triathalon which is hard enough just trying to find enough hours in the day to get in the training i want with long work hours and this time of year shooting as well. Not to mention trying to avoid people who are completly unaware of you in cars
    although your lit up like a christmas tree :-)
    The spine race is another level all together a true credit to your fitness and mental strengh. just remember on these long cold winter nights whilst your out on your own in the middle of nowhere the reasons you have for doing what your doing and it will be your heart your head and spirit that carries you to the finish line as well as your sore legs!! All the best mate and were all behind you

On another note the amount of deer i have come across in the last few weeks whilst ive been out on the bike at last light is unbelievalble !!! in places i never even new about i feel some door knocking coming on soon

Thank you mate, I know what you mean when saying lit up like a xmas tree and some people still fail to see blackpool illuminations running on the road. I am relying more on heart and spirit than personal fitness, and having just looked at the weather outside, I am hoping it will clear up come January and the sun will be shining.
    I have always wanted to do a triathalon but never got round to it, like you say, its trying to find time to do everything you would like to (havent been lucky enough to come across any deer yet though)
    I was driving down across the pennines the other day and was pretty much thinking wow, is that really what Im doing, I think reality is starting to hit

Thank you again

Karl

Quote Originally Posted by KGB View Post
    Thank you mate, I know what you mean when saying lit up like a xmas tree and some people still fail to see blackpool illuminations running on the road. I am relying more on heart and spirit than personal fitness, and having just looked at the weather outside, I am hoping it will clear up come January and the sun will be shining.
    I have always wanted to do a triathalon but never got round to it, like you say, its trying to find time to do everything you would like to (havent been lucky enough to come across any deer yet though)
    I was driving down across the pennines the other day and was pretty much thinking wow, is that really what Im doing, I think reality is starting to hit

Thank you again

Karl
    My pleasure, i rekon you should set that target a little higher maybe £1000 dont underestimate what you are doing, get your local paper involved or the boys in your regiment 268 miles after all is no mean feat !! get this out the way and sign up for a tri, that will be like a stroll in the park to you now i should imagine, never mind once you have done the event. battle through this crappy weather and come that nice crisp day in Jan it will be a piece of cake !! You should pop down to London for the Tri next year no hills there your be done and home by lunch lol !!
    Best of luck again
    Daniel