Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what's the point of light bullets

what's the point of light bullets

Question, I usually shoot 87g HP's in my .243 and use them on roe/fox/etc.

Now, I will not be shooting does/kids until Mid Jan/Feb in the new year (as I don't have much cull pressure this year), so I am focusing on varminting in Oct/Nov/Dec.

Would you say it is worth my moving to 55g ballistic tips, and if so why? the prices are not much different, my 87g'ers one-hole, etc. etc.

Ie. why would I NOT want to stick with my current round, are there ANY arguments for moving to a light bullet?

I can't see any, just looking for reassurances of my own decsions/thoughts.

Only point to a light bullet is flatter shooting which is easier when lamping as distance can be hard to judge under lamp. If your confident with your round now it be better to leave it as you are. I use 85 grain in 25-06 and it's flattens everything it touchs

Many .243's give optimum accuracy with bullet weights around 90-95grn, try the lighter bullets for grouping on a paper target and let us know how you get on, I have had the same thoughts myself.

will it shoot accurate with lighter stuff is the question i'd be asking? twist rates will come into it here! you could spend a lot of time messing around with seating depths an powders... personally i'd stick with what works!

Have reloaded some 55gr BT rounds for my .243 using H-4895.
    Getting less that 1" groups on paper.
    The scope is still zeroed for 100gr Remington Core-Lock, the 55gr are shooting about 5" low.

John

light bullets shoot flatter out to short ranges but are more affected by wind
    heavy bullets drop more at short ranges but retain more energy and buck the wind better

Less exit/pass through, better for shooting fox amongst livestock. Get you closer to thhat semi custom you've always wanted by burning out barrel quicker!!

Quote Originally Posted by Offroad Gary View Post
    Get you closer to thhat semi custom you've always wanted by burning out barrel quicker!!
    like that answer

Hmm well the idea of light fast bullets for quick kills on game is nothing new and in fact goes back to the late 19th century. Weatherby jumped on the bandwagon later much later and cobbled together others ideas to make his line of cartridges. Back and before then 3000 fps seemed an unobtainable goal but that had been achieved and even surpassed by 1906. Savage used an 87 grain bullet in their 250-3000 savage cartridge just so they could obtain the magical 3000 fps velocity.

As always it's the actual construction of the bullet which matters.

The type and temprature burn of the powder plays a big part in barrel wear. The original Cordite mix was too hot so had to be altered along with a more robust rifling form. Now some like light for calibre fast bullets some do not. For instance I know of a chap who likes the 115 grain bullet a hollow point one at that for use in his 7mm wildcat and for him it's been very successful dropping all manner of beasties and some of them larger than we would encounter normally in the UK. I do not believe he has burnt the barrel out on that rifle yet and he was built several decades ago I seem to recall.

Quote Originally Posted by bri2506 View Post
    Only point to a light bullet is flatter shooting which is easier when lamping as distance can be hard to judge under lamp. If your confident with your round now it be better to leave it as you are. I use 85 grain in 25-06 and it's flattens everything it touchs
    Hi mate, I also shoot the 25-06............usually use 117 or 120 grain rounds at around 3000 fps....................just out of interest how fast are the 85 grainers leaving the muzzle? they must be licking on.

CADEX