Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: North of the border femail season.

  1. #1

    North of the border femail season.

    A bit random but just wondering as today was the start of the hind and doe season for Scotland how many of you managed to start your cull of succesfully today ?
    As I said its a bit random but I was just wondering .

  2. #2
    Distinguished Member tartinjock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Nairn, Inverness-shire
    Posts
    2,610
    Not for lack of trying!! Was out today, saw 2 hinds and one stag. Hinds were lamped prior to sun up, not shot I will add, but seen with the lamp. Stag was on the open hill at lunch time, but out of season now, TYPICAL!

    TJ
    Position and hold must be firm enough to support the firearm
    The firearm must point naturally at the target without any undue physical effort
    Sight alignment (aiming) must be correct
    The shot must be released and followed through without disturbing the position

  3. #3
    I think most people who have a cull plan will wait till the new year to do the bulk of the work to allow any young to stand a better chance of surviving, less chance of leaving a dependant to starve. I could be wrong mind!

  4. #4
    Over the previous 2 days we could have shot any number of sika hinds.

    And guess what happened today...

    I am sure the 'feckers' have a calendar...

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    I think most people who have a cull plan will wait till the new year to do the bulk of the work to allow any young to stand a better chance of surviving, less chance of leaving a dependant to starve. I could be wrong mind!
    And by then we are in 18'' of snow again...

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by jamross65 View Post
    And by then we are in 18'' of snow again...
    Its gonna be another bad one too according to the forecasters...

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    Its gonna be another bad one too according to the forecasters...
    Are you trying to spoil my night deliberately????

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by aliS View Post
    I think most people who have a cull plan will wait till the new year to do the bulk of the work to allow any young to stand a better chance of surviving, less chance of leaving a dependant to starve. I could be wrong mind!
    bye the new year,it all might be a wee bit too late,yes i agree in letting the deer have a wee bit of a break,,but in this commercial times and the way the weather is wee need to chap on,85% of our hinds shall be culled by the end of november,approx 200 and yes it will be guests that shoot these,bye the new year we are normally up to our arses in snow,and if i did have guests i would not let them shoot,the poor hinds have a hard enough time,and i aint chasing them oot when the white shepard is here,hit them early then leave them quiet when the weathers here,cheers.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by BIG white hunter View Post
    bye the new year,it all might be a wee bit too late,yes i agree in letting the deer have a wee bit of a break,,but in this commercial times and the way the weather is wee need to chap on,85% of our hinds shall be culled by the end of november,approx 200 and yes it will be guests that shoot these,bye the new year we are normally up to our arses in snow,and if i did have guests i would not let them shoot,the poor hinds have a hard enough time,and i aint chasing them oot when the white shepard is here,hit them early then leave them quiet when the weathers here,cheers.
    Some will have been at hinds since the 1st Oct or even 1st Sept, however most "Forests" will be starting around now, in the past I used to like to try and get a week off between the 2 [not allways though], as BWH says, many are curtailed by the white shepherd so it's best to get the bulk done before x mas, also better lbs so more .

  10. #10
    We have our first guests in Mid November so we will leave them quite until then. I dont mind leaving half the cull until after Xmas when the ****e really starts to appear.

    We will be starting in the woods next week though.
    There is a place on this planet for all of God's creatures, right next to my tatties and gravy!!!

Similar Threads

  1. My Trip north of the border with MJ Robson part one.
    By groach1234 in forum Articles & Write Ups
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-07-2011, 22:46
  2. Lost Border
    By colm in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-05-2010, 20:26
  3. North East, North Yorks & Borders
    By rooster in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 17-01-2010, 23:44
  4. Border stalking
    By morena in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 06:07
  5. stalking north east/ north
    By gamegunner in forum Deer Stalking Opportunities
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-11-2008, 10:48

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •