Gun cabinet

Roch

Gun cabinet
Hello, I would like to apply for FAC and to do so I have to have gun storage place which police will check. What are the police requirements regarding to such cabinet and how much it might cost?
Cheers,
Dawid

the cabinet needs to be fixed to a structural wall or floor you can get a secondhand cabinet off fleabay around 50pounds depends really on how many guns you are applying for i made mine so it just cost me for the locks ,atb wayne

Buy a big one! This is sort of addictive. There's a lot of 3 gun cabinets go cheap as people upgrade to something bigger. If I was doing it again I'd buy the biggest one I could fit! The extra money for a 5 or 8 gun over a 3 gun is minimal.

Get any shooting mag and there's a dozen ads selling them. Google 'gun cabinet'. If you are putting in for a FAC you need either a separate internal locker or a second safe for ammo (cheap digital ones seem to satisfy the police).

DJs cabinets are good, thinner walls then the Batton type, so ot to damage ya prized tools when getting 'em out. As said get the boggest ya can affors to avoid cramping up.

+1 get a 5 or even better an 8 gun cabinet, the 3's are to small defo!

On top of which you'll fill a 3 in the blink of an eye ;)

Rgds, Buck.

You will need an extra deep one for scoped rifles and a locking top for ammunition, the 6-7 gun size is really useful but costs around £ 280, however if you shop around you will get a new one for less or if you are really lucky secondhand even cheaper. If you are on a smaller budget start off with a secondhand 3 gun shotgun cabinet and put your rifle in sideways, cost £20 -£ 50 (you will need a separate compartment/safe for your bolt & ammo) but as others have said you will soon out grow it. Fix to solid masonry inside your house e.g. floor & supporting wall, in an accessable location and out of sight of visitors e.g. under stairs cupboard

Yes, if you get a copy of the home office guidlines to police on firearms (download from BASC site and elsewhere) they give greater details of security requirements and the thinking behind it. With wooden floors you are supposed to bolt into main load bearing timbers, the test as I recall it is that it should withstand an attack with a hammer and chisel or jemmy for a minimum of five minutes

There is a tick box on the fac application form which asks if the guns are to be stored in a British Standard gun cabinet. I think it helps if you can tick yes here. The Brattonsound type ones are certified to BS75558/92 and others may may be too. I don't work for Brattonsound by the way :) , just trying to help.

fraser

Roch

There are the home office guide lines and pamphlets from BASC etc. However, every force tends to be a bit different in their approach - which is a whole other topic.

My approach in any new district is to give the local Crime Crime Prevention Officer a bell - its free and you get advice 'from the horses mouth' so to speak. Tends to make FEO visit much more straight forward if you can simply say CPO has been round and given advice.

Some police forces are indeed different to others.North Wales were fine when i fixed mine to a timber stud partition behind the door of my office.
Obviously i fixed it to the timber and not the plaster:cool:
It was the brattsound type if memory serves.

Back