Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Farms

New Farms

A couple of questions I am looking for guidance on please. When I applied for my FAC in Essex (.243) the separate form was filled in by a land owner with 4 farms. When the FAO came to visit me, I had obtained 1 more written permission which is passed for a .243. She put that farm down in her notes and a few weeks later I received my certificate. I know have a new cert with the conditions removed and an opportunity to shoot with a friend on 2 very large farms which he rents the shooting.
    He uses a 22-250 on this land. What is the best route to pass on the land details to the FAD, I have an email contact address for them.
    1. The addresses of the farms.
    2. The addresses of the farms and my friends details ( who rents the shoot)

I know all the FAD work in a slightly different way, this is why I am asking for advice in advance from the experience of the forum.

Regards

Tim.243

If your ticket is now open ( and unless I misread you post, it is) then you do not need to inform them as the responsibility sits with you.

Thanks for the reply,
    My cert reads rifle and mod, amo, shall be used for shooting deer and fox also zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police. For the area where the land is situated and over which the shooter has lawful authority to shoot.

Regards

Tim.243

That's not an open ticket. You need to check with the Firearms Dept for the Constabulary where the land is situated to see if it has been measured and passed for 243. If they say it has make a file note of the time date of your enquiry together with the name of whom you spoke with, just to be on the safe side. Happy hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim.243 View Post
    Thanks for the reply,
    My cert reads rifle and mod, amo, shall be used for shooting deer and fox also zeroing on ranges or land deemed suitable by the chief officer of police. For the area where the land is situated and over which the shooter has lawful authority to shoot.

Regards

Tim.243
    Tim,

Your FAC is still closed and you will need to get the land cleared by your FLO - I'd send them the details of the land plus your friend's contact details and some form of letter from him inviting you to shoot with him on his permission where he holds the shooting rights. If you send some decent maps marking the boundaries (Google maps is good), they may not even need to visit - West Mercia didn't visit most of my ground when I had a closed condition on my FAC.

However, before you don the above, it's also worth check with them by phone if the land is already cleared - if it is cleared for .243 and above you are good to go without any further action on your part.

Adam.

Tim,
    As long as the farm owner relating to your friend is 'in the loop' then it shouldnt matter either way, though personally i would include him too out of courtesy, if nothing else. The police may want to re inspect that land to sanction it for .243 if it was only initially passed for his .22 c/f ?
    IF THAT IS THE CASE I would suggest that you ask them to inspect and sanction it for the largest caliber they think suitable. ( I have no idea why every police force doesnt do this already as it would save in man hours and when their ( police ) national land log is complete it would save everyone a load of time and effort. If for example you or your friend wanted to go out and buy a 6.5 or .270 or even .308 ...whatever....if the land is only 'sanctioned' upto .243 it then means seeking new permission from the land owner AND re visiting to assess the caliber suitablility. ( Which in its self is something of a joke as if you discharge a .222 or a .470 nitro express without a safe back stop its into the lap of the gods as to if it falls to earth without damaging something or someone ). The point being if your a safe shot the caliber makes no difference !
    Hope that helps !

Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Rifles View Post
    Tim,
    As long as the farm owner relating to your friend is 'in the loop' then it shouldnt matter either way, though personally i would include him too out of courtesy, if nothing else. The police may want to re inspect that land to sanction it for .243 if it was only initially passed for his .22 c/f ?
    IF THAT IS THE CASE I would suggest that you ask them to inspect and sanction it for the largest caliber they think suitable. ( I have no idea why every police force doesnt do this already as it would save in man hours and when their ( police ) national land log is complete it would save everyone a load of time and effort. If for example you or your friend wanted to go out and buy a 6.5 or .270 or even .308 ...whatever....if the land is only 'sanctioned' upto .243 it then means seeking new permission from the land owner AND re visiting to assess the caliber suitablility. ( Which in its self is something of a joke as if you discharge a .222 or a .470 nitro express without a safe back stop its into the lap of the gods as to if it falls to earth without damaging something or someone ). The point being if your a safe shot the caliber makes no difference !
    Hope that helps !

Robin.
    I agree, never forget safe shooting backstop

Many thanks for the replys, I will call them in the morning...

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Rifles View Post
    ...........and when their ( police ) national land log is complete it would save everyone a load of time and effort.
    Please don't give them ideas. Just the thought of a Police National Land Log - presumably compiled by unqualified FEOs and based on nothing more than their own subjective views - sends shivers down my spine. I could see it being used as yet another stick to beat law abiding shooters with. Much of Scotland isn't 'inspected' and it doesn't create any problems.

This whole land inspection business has IMO got completely out of hand and gone away from the primary reason that it is required - namely to support the 'good reason' when initially applying for a firearms certificate as per the HO Guidance.

13.11 It is accepted that land is not
    intrinsically “safe” or “unsafe” and that any
    shooter will have to exercise a strong measure
    of discretion in deciding whether to shoot in
    particular circumstances. However, the police
    will wish to be satisfied as part of “good
    reason” that the land nominated is not clearly
    unsuitable for the types of firearms to be
    used. The land inspection is intended only as
    part of the process of verifying that a “good
    reason” exists. It should not normally be
    extended to other areas of land on which the
    applicant intends to shoot unless there is to
    be a condition restricting a new shooter to
    specified land only. An inspection, where it is
    required, may provide a good opportunity to
    confirm that the applicant understands the
    characteristics of the land and the best places
    to shoot safely on it. The applicant’s
    knowledge of safe shooting is also very
    important and they should therefore, where
    possible, be present when the inspection takes
    place.
    This will give applicants the opportunity
    to confirm that they are aware of any
    potential hazards and know that no shot must
    ever be fired from a rifle unless there is a safe
    backstop.

I wonder how many applicants are asked to be present when the inspection takes place? Very few I suspect, but then again it might expose some of them for what they are - worthless.