Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weighing Brass

Weighing Brass

I have just taken delivery of some new brass, I usually use Lapua or Norma, but for this caliber I can only get Remmington brass.

I feel the need to sort this brass weight wise........ What is the best way of doing this ?

Full resize trim to length and weigh ?

Weigh straight out of the bag ?

Cheers

Sticks

never done this but if i had to then i would full length trim etc and do all the necessaries like chamfer / primer pockets etc then weigh

+1 with loiner.. F/L resize, while your on i would measure them all, find the shortest case and trim to that length then weigh.

fully prep then weigh

The old Hodgdons #26 has an interesting article on case weights and just how it improved the grouping in the authors rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I have just taken delivery of some new brass, I usually use Lapua or Norma, but for this caliber I can only get Remmington brass.

I feel the need to sort this brass weight wise........ What is the best way of doing this ?

Cheers

Sticks
    Why not weigh Lapua and Norma as well?? If you must weigh any brass, all of the above is correct.~Muir

I've never weighed a case yet , be it once fired new or used. All I do is fully re-size and trim to factory length and use them !

That's what works for me , and I've used remmington , federal , norma and lapua and all may loads are with in. 50fps sso I wouldn't bother if I were you !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

If you do weigh them, what sort of weight differences would be expected?

Andrew

In that article in the Hodgdon #26 he says this:-

As a rule, very small cases (.22 Hornet, .222 rem and the like) should be culled to eliminate variations exceeding .5 percent (.005). Standard cases (22-250 rem to 30-06 Government) should vary no more than +/- 1 percent (0.1) and magnum cases are segregated to eliminate those deviating more than 1.5 percent (0.15) from average.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

Cheers

Sticks
    As these are new cases what's the point in full length resizing or even trimming them . It won't make a jot of difference........ and how would you tell anyway? OK - a few of the necks won't be circular, but these can be sorted out by a light touch with the neck expander ball.

You've paid the price for new shiny brass rather than once-fired, so take advantage of this convenience for the first firing. You're only working the brass unnecessarily - plenty of time to do this later on. You could fireform on the first firing, and then neck-size them thereafter until full-length sizing or trimming is needed. Maybe they'll last forever - what a hope.

I do weigh brass after sizing as a routine as I've got about 20 different makes, and it's useful to see which makes are the most consistent - Min. to Max. What's maybe more important is segregating them by brand from lightest to heaviest if you're using full-power loads. Even the small cases such as .223 can vary in weight from one brand to another by 10% so internal capacity must vary in the same way........ Que? This doubt bugs me a bit, so I usually develop loads in the heaviest brand of case (such as RWS) to give myself a bit of elbow room when moving on to the lighter brands of cases.
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.