Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi this is my 1st introductionary post, I hope that someone reads it !

Hi this is my 1st introductionary post, I hope that someone reads it !

Hello, ive just registered on this website because after looking at quite a few on the web and decided that this one seemed to have the most intelligent and interesting members and posts .
    I live in Cambridge and work on a farm where I have 400 acres of land to shoot on. Ive been shooting since I was about 10 years old with my friend and his father, I also used to shoot rimfire and center fire rifles with a friend who works as a forest ranger in the forestry commission. I stopped shooting for about 5 years whilst I went to University in Newcastle upon Tyne. Ive been running my own business now for nearly 10 years as a bespoke furniture maker and joiner, the last six years have been spent in my workshop on the previously mentioned farm.
    It was this summer that I decided that it was high time that I got myself a FAC sorted out and get back into the shooting as the land owner kept on moaning about their rabbit and deer problems and I now have more spare time on my hands seeing as my business is looking pretty healthy these days.
    Anyway, ive got the FAC pretty much sorted out now, Ive had the meeting with the FEO and am just waiting for it to be sent to the FEO so that he can come over with it in about a weeks time from now and look at my gun cabinet before presenting me with the little puppy so that I can go shopping .
    Ive only applied for a bolt action .22lr with a sound mod even though the land is cleared for the use of up to a 270. I want to concentrate on the rabbits for the time being and also want to get to grips with whats what with my new .22lr and scope first seeing as ive got plenty of time to do a deer management course and throw more money at the sport in the future !
    Anyway, i shall post a question shortly about my choice of second hand gun and new scope.
    kind regards, Olaf.

Welcome Olaf, you got it correct with your comment on the quality of the membership here!, you sound like you have most of what you need to keep a shooting man happy with regards a bit of ground,............ not too sure about my F.E.O. presenting me with a "Puppy" though,
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

ha ! nice touch there Sir. Thanks for the reply.

SD Regular
    Welcome Olaf - nice intro - helps to get to know a chap! I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need from the erudite membership to help you enjoy your shooting. I'm sure it won't be long before you're seeking a larger calibre!
    Safe shooting

E t R
    Nooooooooooooobody expects the Spanish Inquisition!! Our main weapon is.........

Welcome to the site

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Established Poster
    Welcome to the site mate very nice intro indeed its always good to see more local peeps to me on here

Welcome Olaf.

Martin

Welcome to the site, ask whatever questions you like there are some good guys on here who are willing to give up their time to help others.

ATB

Sikamalc

Nice intro. It might be worth asking your FEO about future requests for a deer capable caliber when he comes to visit, you may save yourself money and subsequent visits.

Quote Originally Posted by foxer1 View Post
    Welcome to the site mate very nice intro indeed its always good to see more local peeps to me on here
    Ditto

Quote Originally Posted by Sausage Warrior
    It might be worth asking your FEO about future requests for a deer capable caliber when he comes to visit
    I would deffo do this! Why wait since you've already had a request to take care of the deer problem therefore VERY good reason. Cambs are a pleasure to deal with, sensible, efficient and down to earth, no messing around! So I'd recommend getting a deer legal calibre on your ticket now.

If of course your farmer needs a hand in the mean time...