Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying second hand

Buying second hand

I have been offered a sako 75 hunter in 308 for what I consider a good price. what things should I look out for and what in particular with this model?
    Any advice gratefully received,thanks

Nothing it is a Sako they are the perfect bolt action rifle.

Seriously being a 308 stalking rifle it is unlikely to be shot out but it would be worth checking the barrel for pitting from neglect, although even pitted barrels can still shoot well, and if it is cheap enough it still might be worth buying to use as a donor for a semi-custom rifle with a new aftermarket barrel. Other than that it is cosmetics has the stock been bashed, is the metal work all still blued, and not rusted, does it cycle from the mag’ and extract cartridges OK.

I am sure other will also chip in with advice.

ATB

Tahr

Thar

Why the emoticons after your entire correct first sentence?..... it's not like we're talking about a Blaser

Very little goes awry on the 75 - mostly. If threaded check threads and crown area for corrosion/ damage ( check crown even if not threaded ). Subtle questions can help on that - 'What do you use to clean it'? - if its a pull through type cleaner, pay very close attention to the crown. If the seller launches into detail about how hard it is to find a bore guide that fits Sako actions - every chance its been well cared for.
    Stalking, Courses, Gear - Moray Outfiiting Website here - Welcome
    BASC Approved Trainer & Assessor. Cairngorm National Park Authority Approved Supplier. Supported by Sauer Arms
    See you at the Stalking Fair, Scone & Moy 2017

Established Poster
    I agree if the price is right and its a Sako 75 the buy it now i say

The stock has a few dings and scratches and needs reoiling so just cosmetic really.The barrel isn't screw cut and has a wee patch where the blueing has rubbed through. Only had a quick look at it so really wanted some more points to be aware of. It has a Schmidt and Bender 6X42 on it and I'll be able to shoot it to see how it groups.
    How easy are spare mags to get and where is the cheapest? Thanks for your replies

Any chance you could actually get to shoot the rifle? Ime assuming its a private sale so hopefully isnt too far away and between you there will be some land?
    After that, as already said, just use a 'bit of common'... Look at the general condition of the stock....is it bashed to bits? Look at the chequering.....is it getting smooth or is it still nice and sharpe? Metal work....going white or still well finished? Bolt handle the same ...though I seem to recall some were blue and others just plain? Crown and barrel also important.
    ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE KEY FOR THE BOLT !

Were some made without the bolt lock because I can't remember seeing any sign of it. Most seem to think that they're a pain in the arse.Crown looked fine but the barrel was dirty maybe he's from the'the next shot will clean it' school of thought. Will take a bore snake with me next time. How would I know if the barrel was pitted? What am I looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by sundog View Post
    Were some made without the bolt lock because I can't remember seeing any sign of it. Most seem to think that they're a pain in the arse.Crown looked fine but the barrel was dirty maybe he's from the'the next shot will clean it' school of thought. Will take a bore snake with me next time. How would I know if the barrel was pitted? What am I looking for?
    really you need to rod the barrel out so you can get a good look at the rifling. look at the throat end of the rifle. and see what that looks like. your see if its pitted.
    or if the rifling is worn

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Rifles View Post
    ALSO MAKE SURE YOU GET THE KEY FOR THE BOLT !
    Key(s)

I had a look at the sako web site and it seems the locking bolt was only an option.Thanks guys, great advice, cheers