Thread: taste of venison

taste of venison

i have only ever eaten venison once a joint that i bought from a farm shop in wotton under edge gloustershire i think it came from berkley estate and i thimk it was roe it was very nice for sunday lunch i treated it as a joint of beef my question is does all venison from all our native deer taste the same or is there a difference between the different speices

It all tastes different as it depends on the age, sex, time of year and how it died. I don't think you can go wrong with muntjac IMO, its the best out there for me anyway.

Even sheep and cattle taste different depending on breed, food, age and how long they have been hung.
    Last edited by K333ROE; 24-10-2011 at 16:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    It all tastes different as it depends on the age, sex, time of year and how it died. I don't think you can go wrong with muntjac IMO, its the best out there for me anyway.
    Spot on!

Guess the answer is to try as much as you can, bummer !

Ive been to a few British Deer Society evenings and despite the good turn out very few can identify the six species of deer by taste which forms part of the evenings fun..

I think on the last evening which i attended at the Owls Barn Farm Sopley only one person identified all six correctly
    Blessed be the sheeple for they shall inherit bugger all...

I'll take on that bambi challenge!

They all taste different, I've never tried muntjac, fallow or CWD. But out of the ones we have up north Sika reallyare the best. I shot an old old roe buck this year in July time, he was absolutely disgusting and pretty smelly. The dog thought it was tasty though...
    Last edited by aliS; 23-10-2011 at 19:38. Reason: poor grammer!