Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is best?

Which is best?

Folks,

Need some advice please... I have a mannlicher model L and the choice of 2 powders, Varget or N160, to push out sierra 80grn bullets, anyone have any suggestions as to the best load for each of these powders?? any help would be much appreciated.

Regards
    John F

John,
    Firstly 80 grn what?....what caliber Model L have you ?
    In basic answer to your question both should do as good a job as each other, its all down to getting a particular load to suit your individual rifle. We always start half way in the reloading tables for a given powder / bullet and then load 5 rounds, each half a grain and a full grain higher and lower...go test fire the five groups. Remember to give each batch a fare 'chance' by allowing your barrel to cool etc and making sure of each shot as best you can. Then if you want to really 'fine tune' things pick the best from that group of five and load up and down 0.1 grains of powder each side and test shoot those five batches. By then you should really see your group tighten up. Pick the best and STICK WITH IT !....Thats how we make our bespoke ammo for customers...seems to work !

Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Rifles View Post
    John,
    Firstly 80 grn what?....what caliber Model L have you ?
    In basic answer to your question both should do as good a job as each other, its all down to getting a particular load to suit your individual rifle. We always start half way in the reloading tables for a given powder / bullet and then load 5 rounds, each half a grain and a full grain higher and lower...go test fire the five groups. Remember to give each batch a fare 'chance' by allowing your barrel to cool etc and making sure of each shot as best you can. Then if you want to really 'fine tune' things pick the best from that group of five and load up and down 0.1 grains of powder each side and test shoot those five batches. By then you should really see your group tighten up. Pick the best and STICK WITH IT !....Thats how we make our bespoke ammo for customers...seems to work !

Robin.
    Yep that what I do !

Discretion assured
    - call us anytime, free on 0800 689 0857

please visit our web site:
    http://uksha1 or find us on facebook
    Sponsored proudly by Pfanner, Blaser, Clark Forest.

Hi Robin,

Many Thanks for your reply, the rifle is a .243, the heads are Sierra SBT Blitz 80grns. i

I previously loaded for my 22.250 using Varget, but my local RFD sold me some N160, which he says is more suited to the .243, however Hogdon also show loading for this calibre using Varget. I tried some rounds today using 36grns of Varget, but was not happy with the results,

Regards
    John F

hi i use winchester 760 same heads 3300fps with 44 grains set 2.64 inch

I Think you will get more velocity with n160 with 80 grain bullets.
    Varget works well with the lighter bullets.

I use N160 on 87 and 100 gn in 243.
    gives a fuller case on the heavier bullets and as above the slower burn should produce good MV

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    I use N160 on 87 and 100 gn in 243.
    gives a fuller case on the heavier bullets and as above the slower burn should produce good MV
    hhmm, makes me wonder if I should change my sweetheart 35.5 varget load for 87g HPBT to N160. The only thing I am not sure about with the Varget is the almost half empty case (well, not quite that bad) and what happens when you shoot steep downhill and the propelland moves forward away from the primer 'spark'. However, driving the HPBT's faster might make them blow up, and I'm already getting exit wounds on deer that deffo should not be getting any bigger. Usually lose 1 to 1.25 shoulders with a H/L shot...then again, I don't really eat the shoulders, they're a bit of a pain to be honest

Established Poster
    JOHNF, Sierra give a maximum rec. load of 38.0 gr Varget in their reloading data tables. They show a load for Viht N140 but no load for N160. I don't have experience with 80 gr bullets but N160 works well for me in my rifle with 85 & 87 gr bullets.