Blood trailing/tracking. Where to get blood?

Hi guys

I've wanted to start blood trailing for a long time with my dogs, just as nice spare time activity. However I'm having a really hard time finding pigs/deer blood for this. I've tried blood powder from CC More, but that was pretty much useless in my opinion. The smell is awful, nothing like blood - dogs not interested and it foams.
I would like to get the real deal. There's no butchers in this area who are able to help, and unfortunately I don't know any hunters i.e who could help with blood.
anyone got exprience with this? http://www.bushwear.co.uk/nostyles.php?ProductID=382731&ClassID=192
Considering the price I don't wanna buy and try. Concentrate vs powder?

How do you train your dogs for blood trailing? Do you all hunt and use the blood from the animal? Anyone got some spare I could buy?:oops:

I know in Norway (where I'm originally from) you're able to buy frozen blood in big supermarkets, but I've not found anything here in the UK.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Many thanks.

Last edited:
I use the stuff from CC More and it's fine, mix it 20:1 let it settle then put it in the fridge. I use blood when I get hold of it but it's easier to use CC dried blood.

Someone local may chip in an offer to help but have you tried a local slaughterhouse? Small independent abattoirs, (if they still exist in your area!), would probably be the best bet rather than butchers who will usually only have clean carcases delivered.

next time i go out i shall get you some,and also some feet ,cant promise when as i have just got back from scotland,but i will bottle some for you ,pm me your address yhen i have it ,i wouldt be suprised if one or two other kind stalker offer you some as well,regards arron.

I use the stuff from CC More and it's fine, mix it 20:1 let it settle then put it in the fridge. I use blood when I get hold of it but it's easier to use CC dried blood.

I'll try 20:1 and see if it's any better, but would obvisouly still prefer 'the real stuff'. :) Thanks for your tip!

Someone local may chip in an offer to help but have you tried a local slaughterhouse? Small independent abattoirs, (if they still exist in your area!), would probably be the best bet rather than butchers who will usually only have clean carcases delivered.
Yeah, I've tried to locals and even halal slaughters. Nothing so far :(

next time i go out i shall get you some,and also some feet ,cant promise when as i have just got back from scotland,but i will bottle some for you ,pm me your address yhen i have it ,i wouldt be suprised if one or two other kind stalker offer you some as well,regards arron.
That would be absolutely awesome :) I'll send you a PM and we can take it from there- Thank you very much :)

How do you train your dogs for blood trailing? Do you all hunt and use the blood from the animal? Anyone got some spare I could buy?:oops:

Any suggestions appreciated.

As you now got your blood I suggest you buy or borrow :Niels Sondergaard's "Working with dogs for Deer. There is nothing better in english. If you can read German than there is a list as long as your arm.

You might also follow a course by the NGO, the BMHS or the BDS but I do not know of any near you.

What kind of dogs do you have? Different dogs need different training.

Back