Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More .22 questions.

More .22 questions.

Is there a knack to removing an unfired round without it ejecting like a spent case?

Also, has anyone got any experience of CCI Segmented Hollowpoint ammunition? The terminal effect on a rabbit is quite dramatic, with the bullet splitting into three boomerang shaped bits of shrapnel. No bullets passing straight through and bouncing off the ground behind. The question is, do they reduce the risk of ricochet in the event of a miss, or do you just get three bits of metal pinging away into the blue yonder, with 3 times the risk of an accident?

I hood the ejection port with my left hand.

CCI Segmented ammunition? a very good question that one, will watch with interest, personally I am not sure that 3 bits are less of a hazard than one, other than less mass obviously.

Quote Originally Posted by old man View Post
    I hood the ejection port with my left hand.

CCI Segmented ammunition? a very good question that one, will watch with interest, personally I am not sure that 3 bits are less of a hazard than one, other than less mass obviously.
    Thanks old man.
    The position of the 'scope on my rifle (BRNO Mk 2 bolt action) seems to make it difficult to do as you suggest. Certainly in the dark it's tricky - spent ages looking for one in long grass the other night after it evaded my poised left hand. I've also tried putting my thumb into the opening as I pull the bolt back, and pushing the round back down into the magazine. It does work, but thinking all the time "there must be an easier way"!

Very pleased with stopping power of CCI segmented. Certainly does what it says on the tin. If that technology could be combined with a slightly higher velocity then that would perhaps solve some of the .22LR issues (certainly give the .17HMR a run for it's money!)

The question is, though, at the current velocilty of the CCI would it just ricochet in the normal way rather than break up?

SD Regular
    Had a problem recently with feral pigeon sitting in and around farm buildings , the winchester dropped them but left enough life in them to fall to ground .

Changed over to cci WOW what a difference every bird stopped on the roofs dick van dyke would of been proud of me !!!
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

I just cut up a chest shot rabbit to see what the CCIs had done.
    Externally, just a small hole as usual (just below right shoulder blade), but no exit wound.
    Internally - what a mess!!!
    I recovered the segments, which had split into boomerang shaped bits of shrapnel.
    One had completely smashed the left shoulder and left front leg (ie, the side furthest from the entry wound) and was lodged just under the skin.
    One had ripped up the heart and lungs and was lying somewhere by the diaphragm.
    The third was under the rabbit's chin, having truly mangled the throat.

I don't think that any small game hit with one of those in the right spot is going anywhere. Just not sure about whether they'll bounce....?
    Last edited by VSS; 24-10-2011 at 19:43.

SD Regular
    VSS ouch would you sill pass that bunnie to your dealer ?
    BE PREPARED IT WASNT RAINING WHEN THEY BUILT THE ARC

No, I don't think you'd be selling bunnies like that!
    I don't mind chest shooting rabbits, because I don't sell them. The hind legs go in the freezer for ourselves, and the rest (skin, guts, bones and all) I use to feed my dogs. It's a complete diet, and they're always very healthy on it.

Being new to rifle shooting, it was on the advice of helpful members of this forum that I have bought several different types of ammunition to try. The chap in the shop gave me these when I asked if he had something more frangible than the Win Subs I'd been using. He also showed me some high velocity .22LR rounds (forget what they were called now) that were just on the borderline of being subsonic. That's why I'm thinking that a high velocity segmented hollow point would be a good round, if any company makes such a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by shudadunityonksago View Post
    Had a problem recently with feral pigeon sitting in and around farm buildings , the winchester dropped them but left enough life in them to fall to ground .

Changed over to cci WOW what a difference every bird stopped on the roofs dick van dyke would of been proud of me !!!
    Shooting birds on a roof with a rimfire?

have to be honest that is what I was thinking.

I zeroed my .22 at the weekend after having a disastrous evening on the rabbits where I couldn't hit a barn door.
    scope was way off so I assume a knock.

Ejecting live round - Not to be done in the dark but I turn rifle on side pull back bolt hard and catch spinning round as it comes back down. bit "Texas" but it works better than trying to hold rifle whilst covering ejection port with left hand and simultaneously pull back bolt and catch round!
    either that or just eject into the car boot/seat/dog blanket etc etc

On the CCI I swapped some ammo for use on crows as I was getting some flyers (crows not rounds!) when shot from behind. solid 40gn sometimes passed straight through and crow flew for some yards.
    Whilst I have not used one in anger on a crow yet and cant invisage using them on rabbits I tried them this weekend to compare POI with the Eley, Win and RWS subs I have.

POI is very close to the rest at 50yds but as I was shooting out of a first floor window into a nealy harrowed and wet field I was not expecting any zingers.
    First CCI segmented round zinged off on wet mud!!

So yes they do ricochet! remains to be seen if they do what they say on the tin on avian targets

Quote Originally Posted by bewsher500 View Post
    either that or just eject into the car boot/seat/dog blanket etc etc
    That's all very well, except that it means walking miles back to the car with a loaded rifle. To be honest, I don't fancy climbing over stiles, crawling through undergrowth etc etc in the dark with a round chambered. Seems like high potential for an accidental discharge as a result of a knock or slipping over or something. That's why I'm thinking there must be a sensible way of unloading the rifle.