55gr Seirra gameking in 222 ?

Mitscavitch

Hi All

Just looking for some advice / help with a possible load for my CZ527 American 222. Has anyone used this bullet in a standard 1 /14 twist with any success ? I just want to try to work up something more suitable for roe. I am open to suggestions for any SP heads rather than the more available standard varmint stuff.

Thanks

Alan

Last edited:
I have used it in my Remmy 700 Bdl to good effect.
I use 19gn H4198 or 19gn H322 both have the same effect in my rifle.
Mind you PPU 50gn is also as accurate as any of my reloads and at the price they are it isn't worth reloading.

Thanks lads

All advice much appreciated. I have not used PPU as yet. Does it perform well on impact ie not just fragment ? as just trying to find the best combination for my CZ rifle and ammo to use up here in Scotland on roe.
Alan

Try some Sako Gamhead 55gr they come in about £18.00 a box.
Dose the job on roe deer & getting less then 1" grouping from my Tikka M595.

John

All bullets in 223 are market Varmint on USA web sites. I reckon a 30-40lb roe deer is similar to that.

I use Speer 1047 in my 223 and nosler 55gn BT if I feel flush but ideally would like a "game bullet" but the only one seems to be the Sako.

Sierra list a bullet under game king but I think it is just a name rather than an application recommendation as FMJ bullets are listed also.

Thanks again lads for your help. Does anyone know which company actually makes the bullets for Sako ? if so then that might be an option for me to follow up.

Alan

Yes sums it up right enough. I emailed GMK today re the availability of the 55 Gamehead for reloaders and so I await a reply. The Norma's are what I used to shoot roe with years ago in other 222's and they really worked well. Just trying to get something along those lines for home loads.

Thanks again lads.

Alan

hi try hornady 55 grain ask for 2265 sp. if you can get winchester748 powder.go for min 24.2 to max 26.4 between 2800 to 3100 fps. good bullet for roe . i use same bullet in 223 rem .same powder .26.4 3200 fps .

Hi Ian243

I had just bought a box of Hornady 50gn sp before I read your post. I normally use Re7 or N133 but will keep your suggestion for future use once I have used this lot up.

Thanks for the help.

Alan

50gn will be too fast and frangable for roe in my experience. It is a fox round (although I accept is it legal).

It will kill them but not knock them down (unless necked). they will scrap the shoulders as well. no big deal on a roe unless you are selling into the food chain.

Just my tuppence worth

Bullet Heads

Hi Guys

I got a message from GMK saying that the gamehead is not available for reloading and that they only sold it in ammo. That's a pity :(

I just can't find a bullet that will do the job ie (just penetrate and mushroom) anywhere in South Scotland.

Thanks again Lads

Alan

45 grs Barnes TSX, or does the bullet have to be 50 grs or more? If so, Rhino 50 grs extra soft or Norma Oryx 55 grs.
ATB Toby

Hi Toby

Yes the bullet has to be 50gn to be legal here in Scotland. I have other rifles I can use but I just like to use the 222 so much. I have been looking for some time for suitable heads but is just the usual varmint stuff that can be bought from local gun shops. I have never heard of Rhino ? I will have a look on Midway to check that out.

Nice Border terrier. I used to breed them and work them many years ago.:)

Thanks

Alan

Thanks again lads for your help. Does anyone know which company actually makes the bullets for Sako ? if so then that might be an option for me to follow up.

Alan

IIRC, the bullet used in the Sako Gamehead ammo is the Sierra Game King, which desgined for small game i.e. not varmints.
HTH.

+1 for 55gr Sierra Game King's very good on Roe's from my .223 ;)

My Rem SPS Stainless .223 is 1/12 twist-25gns N133 bug holes.

Last edited:
Cheers Lads

I did not realise that the Seirra bullet was the Gamehead :doh: Will give them a try just a wee bit concerned about them grouping / stabilizing in a 1/ 14 twist. Anyone out there had any experience of that.

Alan

hi alan.if you ring edger brothers no 01625613177 ask them they will tell you witch 55 grain is best the one. i gave you has a thick jacket. the spsx 2260 .for fox.

Last edited:
Back