Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Ballistic tips for Deer ?

Why Ballistic tips for Deer ?

I took an experienced stalker out the other night onto my ground for an evenings stalk. He used his 30.06 with a Hornady BT load. He connected with a 4 point Roe at about 40 M but unfortunately a little too far back. The deer dropped on the spot, however the BT had turned its insides into porridge and caused about a dozen obvious but very small exit wounds - it was a total mess.
    Why do some of us use these loads for deer when so many other very effective bullets are on the market ?

It sounds like he was using a varmint ballistic bullet.

I know some people who use hunting ballistic tips but anybody who uses varmint ballistic tip bullets for deer are a bit

To me this "experienced stalker" needs to learn a bit more about shooting deer, firstly a 30.06 is a bit rough for Roe, secondly they need to spend a bit more time on the range if they are misplacing their shot from 40 M away and lastly they need to research their bullets they use.

Maybe they seen this thread - A Max's now categorised as expanding ammunition

Being very new to stalking one of the first deer I shot was a roe doe at about 80yds with a 95gr .243 ballistic tip. At the time I hadnt found a 100gr sp bullet that was holding decent accuracy and the 95gr were the ones recommended to me. The shot was right on the money but impacted on a rib and went, forgive the pun, ballistic on its travels through, in and around the insides of the deer, one fragment turning 90degrees to the impact point and ending up under the skin close to the haunch.
    I've never shot a ballistic tip since then at deer, saving the 95gr BT's for fox work.
    Interestingly the 100gr BTSP I ended up with have the exact same POI as the 95gr BT's at 100yds.
    Below is a link to my website.
    Quad sticks

Quote Originally Posted by colly1612 View Post
    It sounds like he was using a varmint ballistic bullet.

I know some people who use hunting ballistic tips but anybody who uses varmint ballistic tip bullets for deer are a bit

To me this "experienced stalker" needs to learn a bit more about shooting deer, firstly a 30.06 is a bit rough for Roe, secondly they need to spend a bit more time on the range if they are misplacing their shot from 40 M away and lastly they need to research their bullets they use.

Maybe they seen this thread - A Max's now categorised as expanding ammunition
    Then one really also does not fit the "experienced stalker" description, .30-'06 can be perfect for roe with the right bullet.

I have used them on deer for years, never had a problem, rest assured that if it is a bullet that was designed by one of the big bullet manufactures it will do what it says on the box, I use 100gn bullet from a 243 WSSM and 130gn 270, both rounds that push on a bit and I have never had one brake up even on big stags hit in the shoulder.

With your guest something was not right, although all bullets sometimes do things that you donít expect, are you sure additional exit holes were not from bone fragmentation? To get a 30-06 bullet to break up on a roe if it was a proper deer bullet would take some doing BT or not.

ATB

Tahr

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Quote Originally Posted by Thar View Post
    I have used them on deer for years, never had a problem, rest assured that if it is a bullet that was designed by one of the big bullet manufactures it will do what it says on the box, I use 100gn bullet from a 243 WSSM and 130gn 270, both rounds that push on a bit and I have never had one brake up even on big stags hit in the shoulder.

With your guest something was not right, although all bullets sometimes do things that you don’t expect, are you sure additional exit holes were not from bone fragmentation? To get a 30-06 bullet to break up on a roe if it was a proper deer bullet would take some doing BT or not.

ATB

Tahr
    +1 on Tahr's answer.

I have used 150gr BT's in my .308 almost exclusively for over 15 years on roe, muntjac and the occasional fallow and red. I have not found them any more damaging than any of the other bullets that clients have used. IMHO bullet placement is far more important than the bullet design. Find a (legal) bullet you're comfortable with and stick with it.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Quote Originally Posted by prometheus View Post
    I took an experienced stalker out the other night onto my ground for an evenings stalk. He used his 30.06 with a Hornady BT load. He connected with a 4 point Roe at about 40 M but unfortunately a little too far back. The deer dropped on the spot, however the BT had turned its insides into porridge and caused about a dozen obvious but very small exit wounds - it was a total mess.
    Why do some of us use these loads for deer when so many other very effective bullets are on the market ?
    Are you sure what type of Hornady bullet he was using? If he was shooting 155gn amax or mixed his ammo up and used a 130gn vmax the results you describe would be about right.
    The other plastic tipped bullets in the Hornady range (sst/interbond) are designed to stick together a better.

Ahhh Thar for years I avoided Sierra bullets after having a 180 Grain pro Hunter blow up on my first ever Roe Does ribs at about 90 yards. That bullet simply came apart . Fired from my 308 and it was not a hot load. Years later I conversed with a Sierra tech who could not explain it but did suggest I was mistaken . The load used was :-

Sierra #2150 180 Grain, WLR in OFV make case and 42.0 Grains of Reloader 15 to a COL of 2.800"

The shot was a little high and back hitting a rib on entry coming apart and taking out three ribs on exit. It blew up both lungs and top of the heart and punctured the diaphram and sucked a length of intestine out of the exit but the rumen was intact and not punctured. The doe dropped rolled over kicked her feet in the air then lay still. Never moving one step from the spot. I switched to 165 grain bullets and after that used either Speer of the Nosler 165 Ballistic tip in the .308 for years and used them on Roe and Muntjac with no problems. My stalking mentor did comment on seeing the rounds with the ballistic tips :-

Did I intend to kill and gut at the same time
    However even he had to agree after a few Muntjac dropped with them that they did the job and the carcases I brought home were not all messed up.

The 100 grain ballistic Tip through the 6.5x55 was another matter though luckily it got tried on Fox first and after that a switch was made to 120 grain Speers for deer as the 100 grain Ballistic tip ripped apart the fox.

Cliff had a client who used a 30-06 with factory ammunition who on shooting a fallow Buck in the neck from a high seat found on approaching the beast it was coming around. The shot was about 70 yards and the bullet had broken up on the vertabrae. Bullets do strange things sometimes.

shhhttop! back to basics on frangible poperties. The calibre is not the issue but the speed and optimum velocity for the design of the bullet together with the target species is though. As for making a mess, it happens with poor shots but either way but if the guy shot a v-max more or any vamint style highly frangible bullet at deer, most of the bullet weight was going to break off and cause a mega mush where ever the bullet hit home.
    Last edited by Paul at Fechan; 25-10-2011 at 09:00.

I use Vmax exclusively in both .223 and .243, alot depends on where you shoot them, and in my limited experience they very rarely run.

It will make a mess when hit in the boiler room.

D