Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lancashire firearms dept

Lancashire firearms dept

Sent my licence in to have another named mentor put on last Monday got a phone call Wednesday telling me that they were trying a new idea for mentors you no longer need to have a named mentor it just say ( whilst under the supervision of a experienced deer stalker ) thats from my licence which i recived back this morning, now thats what i call good service and well done those in charge at Hutton.

Quote Originally Posted by DINGDONG View Post
    Sent my licence in to have another named mentor put on last Monday got a phone call Wednesday telling me that they were trying a new idea for mentors you no longer need to have a named mentor it just say ( whilst under the supervision of a experienced deer stalker ) thats from my licence which i recived back this morning, now thats what i call good service and well done those in charge at Hutton.
    I wonder what their definition of 'an experienced deer stalker' is? Can't see it anywhere in the HO Guidance or ACPO recommendations! Good for you that the mentoring condition has been eased slightly but it is now so meaningless that it's hardly worth their while to put it on there - I suppose it just satisfies their need to put something or anything in place.

How would you stand with an 'experienced deer stalker' who only used a camera?

Maybe should be a person with open ticket. Now comes the problem of who is qualified and who isn't

Its a step in the right direction. When you have done a few stalks you should be able to get it lifted

Quote Originally Posted by bri2506 View Post
    Maybe should be a person with open ticket. Now comes the problem of who is qualified and who isn't
    Even that can create problems. What if the open FAC holder was the most unsafe shot around, or maybe only fired one round between renewals? Would he really be a suitable mentor?

The deeper you dig the more it exposes the 'mentoring' conditioning as being potentially worthless. If the licensing authorities consider the applicant safe to possess firearms where is the demonstrable benefit to public safety that the condition has provided over what went before? I suspect that in the great majority of cases, especially where the applicant is already shooting a C/F rifle, it only inconveniences them and serves to tick an admin box.

Its a hoop to jump through. Still need to be responsible shooter yourself, after all its your neck on the line it there is a mis-hap

I supose you could read it many ways but it shows that some firearm depts are trying to give us a chance to show that we are in the whole responsable people who take our sport very serious.( sorry about the spelling )

Is your rifle used only for deer stalking or can you use on fox? If you do use it for fox do you still have to have an experienced stalker with you?

Quote Originally Posted by DINGDONG View Post
    I supose you could read it many ways but it shows that some firearm depts are trying to give us a chance to show that we are in the whole responsable people who take our sport very serious.( sorry about the spelling )
    Actually it shouldn't be on there at all. They are still making up their own rules.

I have said this many times but a well constructed letter sent into the Professional Standards Dept cc the Chief Constable cc FLO would quosh this in an instant.

I will guarantee an immediate withdrawal of this rediculous, meaningless condition they have made up and enforced upon you.

Do not for a minute think that all involved in the chain are in cahoots. Quite the contrary and anything which is "made up" by any authority is clamped down on immediately.

I have no idea where this mentoring condition came from or who thought it up but many authorities seemed to have jumped on the band wagon.

I have recently had the "Named Mentor" condition changed to "While accompanied by an experienced Deer Stalker" on my FAC by Lancashire Firearms Department. I phoned to question what constituted "An experienced deer stalker". I was told that all they wanted to get the condition removed was a letter from and Open Certificate Holder with at least the same calibre as my rifle (.243) saying that he had been out with me and that in his opinion I was a safe and experienced enough shot to not need any further Accompanying while out deer stalking. There was no mention of how much experience he needed to have (Or even deer stalking experience) nor was there any mention of him even needing to have DSC, just that he had to have an open ticket with at leats the same calibre as me!
    It looks pretty "open ended" to me and that they are just trying to cover their own backs, but I am not complaining as I am now just waiting for a letter to that effect from a friend who I have in fact stalked and culled with, so happy days are hopefully just around the corner and I will have a full open ticket with no "restrictive" conditions on it!
    While my FAC is "OPEN" for fox with the .243 it is still "Closed" for der until I get the "Accompanied" condition removed - So basically I am classed as being fine to assess the land while shooting fox (On the lamp and in the dark) but I am not yet suitable to assess the land etc in daylight for deer shooting - The mind boggles!