Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calibre Conundrum 7mm RM or 30-06

Calibre Conundrum 7mm RM or 30-06

Calibre Conundrum 7mm RM or 30-06. I have been advised by my friendly FEO that returning to UK with 375 will not be a problem, but only to retain for use abroad. Although I love the 375, I see and accept his point - Therefore I need to buy another barrel for the M03 for use in the UK.

Big decision:
    3006 Requires New Mag, Barrel and Bolthead
    7mm Rem Mag only requires new barrel

Given that 3006 is illegal for game shooting here in France, I would have to keep swapping it out and rezeroing (inevitably I will one day wind up with the wrong bolthead or mag in the wrong country). Does 7mm Rem Mag solve my problem?

I dont want to be under or overgunned for all legal European quarry; and I dont want more than one more barrel. All advice greatfully received.

Thanks JP

sounds like you've answered your own question (RM)

Quote Originally Posted by Jollypoacher View Post
    Calibre Conundrum 7mm RM or 30-06. I have been advised by my friendly FEO that returning to UK with 375 will not be a problem, but only to retain for use abroad. Although I love the 375, I see and accept his point - Therefore I need to buy another barrel for the M03 for use in the UK.
    Hi, I'll leave the calibre conundrum for others to answer but your FEO is wrong to state that you can only retain the .375 for use abroad. Several on this forum have them conditioned for deer and the HO Guidance specifically mentions it at Ch 13.35;

"Some rifles intended for
    antelope and other Plains Game may also
    be suitable for deer, boar or other quarry
    shooting in this country. Calibres such as
    the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
    those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
    but may, once initial “good reason” has been
    established, also be used for shooting the
    larger deer species in Britain."

You will have established the initial good reason by way of use abroad, so no reason why they shouldn't comply with the Guidance and allow use in the UK on deer. The FLD may try it on with that old chestnut about your .375 being 'overkill', but that is both meaningless and will not stand up - they must view an application “from the standpoint of the applicant rather than from that of a possible objector” (Ch 13.6). You can download a copy of the Guidance from the stickie at the head of the Legal Issues section of the forum.

Good luck with it.
    Last edited by Orion; 25-10-2011 at 16:42.

Hi, i have had both more than once each! Personally i would go 7mm Rem Mag every time.

I have to ask what is the justification of him saying you cant use a 375 on deer in the UK?

or is it that you are happy to go along because now someone else has told you to go and buy a new toy!?

Not wanting to throw rocks at the FEO on a Forum; I willl include Orions home office guidance in my submission letter. I really dont want to get involved in the ' overkill debate vs or the when is a backstop not a backstop '. I will apply for a 7mm RM at the same time just in case. Silly really as i would prefer to keep it simple and just have the 375. I dont want another toy; I am saving for africa..... Cheers JP (Alex)

Quote Originally Posted by Jollypoacher View Post

Big decision:
    3006 Requires New Mag, Barrel and Bolthead
    7mm Rem Mag only requires new barrel

Given that 3006 is illegal for game shooting here in France, I would have to keep swapping it out and rezeroing (inevitably I will one day wind up with the wrong bolthead or mag in the wrong country). Does 7mm Rem Mag solve my problem?

I dont want to be under or overgunned for all legal European quarry; and I dont want more than one more barrel. All advice greatfully received.

Thanks JP
    Hi JP, I hear the .30-06 should soon be legal in France so that might help some. If you can hang fire for a little while it should crystalise out soon.

Scrummy

Quote Originally Posted by scrumbag View Post
    Hi JP, I hear the .30-06 should soon be legal in France so that might help some. If you can hang fire for a little while it should crystalise out soon.

Scrummy
    Hi-jack but I must ask does this apply for all military calibres?

North Eastern Victoria Australia Mitta Mitta Sambar country.
    Deer Dog Available
    My 7mm mag has been in my hands for over 30 years,Old Faithful it surely is and while I have three other deer rifles of heavier persuasion this is my "go to rifle"

SD Regular
    Would it not be simpler just to buy a second rifle, once arrived here in UK, in a calibre of your choice?

As to whether 7mm Rem Mag or 30.06 (and if for wild boar the 7mm Rem Mag might better be a 300 Win Mag IMHO) then you need not worry about the extra bolt head etc., etc., etc.

The UK must be sinking under good, little used, quality secondhand rifles in medium calibres.....at far less cost than a new barrel and all the rest...to say nothing of mucking about adjusting the zero of your 'scope!