Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stalkers/ghillie work

stalkers/ghillie work

hi i have done lots of stalking over the years and i would now like to try to get a stalkers job or a ghillies job (yes i no there like hens teeth) i have also got a few certificates

sgc
    fac
    snarining cert
    dmq level 1
    quad cert
    driving licence (clean)
    small&large meat hygiene cert
    soon to be starting dmq level2

what other certificates does everyone think i should try to get before applying for any jobs as it doesnt matter how long you been stalking etc its all about having a bit of paper to say you can

many thanks

R

Its not all about the bit of paper ross, a hell of a lot of it comes down to who you know. If you can expand your contact base and not just by ths BDS routes ect. Get out and about, now is the right time of year to start beating on local shoots and the like its amazing who you can meet in the beaters cart also offer to help out with the ghillie at the hinds (unpaid obviously!)

As to the list of paperwork possibly chainsaw and first aid would be an advantage.

Good Luck Matt

cheers jammie

out beating an picking up 3 sometimes four days a aweek know a few keepers aswell will look into the chainsaw an first aid course too tho

cheers again

R

out beating 3-4 times a week! what do you do at the moment I got tae get a job like yours

the other thing I `ll say is look at your past experience and see how you can tailor what you have done into some posh sounding blurb, any stlker who interveiws you will know your comming the bag but factors/lairds love a man who can talk the talk as it were

Jammie just a labourer with a acoustic engineer company. But boss shoots at this time of year. So lots of 6day weeks in the summer and night shifts this time of year. Just fancy a change of career now. Ind it would be good to do something I love an enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    what other certificates does everyone think i should try to get before applying for any jobs as it doesnt matter how long you been stalking etc its all about having a bit of paper to say you can
    Frankly, I think you've got that entirely the wrong way round. I'd rather employ someone who was keen, competent, interested and willing to learn than someone waving a fistful of certificates. I'm not saying it's a bad thing to have done the certificates, as it will show a potential employer that you are keen and sensible enough to have done them on your own initiative, but don't look upon them as a potential passport to a job.

The best way into this sort of job is to actually be seen to be competent and sensible, and the best way to achieve that is take every opportunity to help out stalkers/ghillies/keepers that you know on an unpaid basis at first. Jobs and work opportunities do crop up all the time, but it's a small world and unless you are known, or recommended by someone who is known, to a potential employer the odds are stacked against you.

The good news is that if you are competent and keen, and persistent, you will find a place sooner or later. But concentrate on getting practical experience rather than bits of paper.

ZAgree with a lot of what you say. And I always try to help out keepers if and when I can. And. Try ask any questions I have. But more and more you are starting to see. Some places looking for bits of paper to say you can drive a quad etc. Aswell as being able to do the practical stuff. All I'm trying to do is make myself as employable as possible and try to get a foot in the door. I get just as much pleasure doing a hard days heather burning. As I do going out stalking or beating picking up etc. Cheers for the reply as I said you make some fair points. R

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    ZAgree with a lot of what you say. And I always try to help out keepers if and when I can. And. Try ask any questions I have. But more and more you are starting to see. Some places looking for bits of paper to say you can drive a quad etc. Aswell as being able to do the practical stuff. All I'm trying to do is make myself as employable as possible and try to get a foot in the door. I get just as much pleasure doing a hard days heather burning. As I do going out stalking or beating picking up etc. Cheers for the reply as I said you make some fair points. R
    Good lad, i think that the dedication you have shown to getting these qualifications will show any employer just how keen and dedicated you are and also leaves them no room to worry when it comes to the Health and saftey, insurance and the other red tape employers constantly come across. whislt certain people feel you may have wasted your time by going out and doing exams and studying your chosen future carrer rather than getting the practical experience before hand, the reality is its only a matter of time before those people who have done it for years and dont believe they have to have a bit of paper to say they know how to use a chainsaw or ride a quadbike will simply not be able use that equipment as they will not be qualified to do so, not the fault of there employer i would like to add but the fault of the way this country is run with its "where theres blame theres a claim attitude" and the constant adverts on tv and radio suggesting that your mistake is always someone else fault. The Lad is simply making himself as employable as possible and any future employer looking at this guys CV will see that he will not need to be sent on weeks of training courses at alot of expense. the reality is no matter how long you have been doing it, you will sooner or later be expected to attend a training course and be told probably by someone younger than you with less experience than you that you are not doing things the safest or best way then again you may be doing it perfectly already so you can get your certificate go back to your Boss and give it to him so he can continue to pay huge amounts in insurance every year so you, the clients and anyone else on the estate,farm,factory,mill wherever are covered in case of an accident!! I say good luck to the lad he obviously has years ahead of him to learn the trade and wont be disapearing for a week or two at a time on training courses with the guy who is supposed to be training him

I'm not knocking Ross's enthusiasm or approach, which I think is commendable. I'm simply questioning the emphasis on certificates and bits of paper.

It's been my experience of a lot of these courses are merely cover-your-backside exercises for employers, and many of them aren't taken seriously by either the employee or employer as an actual measure of competence. The quality of courses is very patchy - some have been good, some have been poor, and some have actually been farcical when it has turned out that the "instructor" was the least competent and least experienced person in the room. All of that boils down to the fact that the certificates may not carry nearly as much weight as the right attitude.

I'm not saying they are unnecessary, as sadly they are an unavoidable part of modern H&S overkill, but if your employer needs you to have a ticket for something they will usually put you through the course at their own expense. What I am saying to Ross is that he should focus more on getting a foot in the door than on collecting more certificates. He already has a good selection, and I think he'd find it a better use of his time to start networking, making phone calls and knocking on doors. But that's just my opinion, and I'll quite happily accept that (although it's unusual) I might be wrong.

There certainly is a big bit of not what you know but who you know in the game of getting employment in Deer Control/Stalking/game keeping. Networking/selling yourself and your reputation/skills is certainly going to assist a great deal but anybody in this day who believes that you will get and keep employment without the paperwork is not in the real world. I have mates who have worked all their lives on estates from kennel boys working up to wildlife rangers and they are constantly being sent on courses/refreshers.
    Looking at what you have achieved is marvellous and a credit to you. The only courses I would suggest are emergency first aid, manual handling, chain saw, H&S (in particular lone working).