Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Varget load for .243 with 100g nosler partitions

  1. #1

    Varget load for .243 with 100g nosler partitions

    Hey lads (and ladettes)

    need Varget load for .243 with 100g nosler partitions SVP.

    1:10 twist for 20" barrell

    will be using norma brass and CCI LR BR Primers

    please don't bother post 'almost' loads from other bullets or powders

    cheers,

    P

  2. #2

  3. #3
    they only list for BTSP but it wont be far off. you will get more variance from your rifle and theirs than you will between similar 100gn bullets

    100 GR. SPR BTSP Hodgdon Varget .243" 2.650" 31.0 2674 42,700 CUP 33.7 2838 50,400 CUP

  4. #4
    33.7gns varget gives me a 3/4" group at 100yds in my 20" barreled tikka m595

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by jonty h View Post
    33.7gns varget gives me a 3/4" group at 100yds in my 20" barreled tikka m595
    cool - you wouldn't happen to have chrono'd that?

  6. #6
    I would have been chuffed if 33.5gr or 33.7gr of Varget had achieved the suggested 2838fps with the Sierra 100gr BTSP....Even 34.5gr didn't achieve a legal velocity !!!

    Only wanted 2810 !!

    Would have settled for 2775 !!

    Shame because it was beautifully accurate with 33.5gr.

    Good luck.

    Philip
    Last edited by Lightyear; 26-10-2011 at 10:30.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    I would have been chuffed if 33.5gr or 33.7gr of Varget had achieved the suggested 2838fps with the Sierra 100gr BTSP....Even 34.5gr didn't achieve a legal velocity !!!

    Only wanted 2810 !!

    Would have settled for 2775 !!

    Shame because it was beautifully accurate with 33.5gr.

    Good luck.

    Philip
    Are you saying it didn't even reach 2450 fps muzzle velocity?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by PKL View Post
    Are you saying it didn't even reach 2450 fps muzzle velocity?
    What does 2450fps refer too ???

    I got

    33.5gr 2550

    34.0gr 2675

    34.5gr 2720 (1643ftlb)

    I need to try a slower burning powder (rifle .243 Sako A2 with 22" Border Archer barrel)


    Cheers + ATVB

    Philip
    Last edited by Lightyear; 26-10-2011 at 11:01.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightyear View Post
    What does 2450fps refer too ???

    I got

    33.5gr 2550

    34.0gr 2675

    34.5gr 2720 (1643ftlb)

    I need t try a slower burning powder (rifle .243 Sako A2 with 22" Border Archer barrel)


    Cheers + ATVB

    Philip
    You said "Even 34.5gr didn't achieve a legal velocity ", but in Scotland for any deer and min 100g round, min fps muzzle velocity is 2450. So essentially, from your test, even 33.5 is legal, no?

    cheers,

    P

  10. #10
    Minimum 100gr

    AND

    Minimum velocity 2450

    AND

    Minimum Ftlb 1 750

    All three must be achieved to be legal in Scotland (apart from Roe 50gr 2,450fps and 1000ftlb)

    (England min cal .240 and Ftlb 1 700)

    Cheers + ATVB

    Philip
    Last edited by Lightyear; 26-10-2011 at 11:03.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ?

Similar Threads

  1. What Varget load for .243"
    By biffa in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 26-08-2011, 17:13
  2. 243 load for gameking 100g
    By Rick in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2011, 20:45
  3. Starting load for 308 - 150gr SST's with Varget
    By Win Mod 70 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 29-07-2011, 06:27
  4. 95 gr Nosler BT and Varget powder.
    By basil in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 14-07-2011, 05:22
  5. 100g HORNADY INTERLOCK V 100g SPEER GRAND SLAM (243)
    By mick b in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-08-2010, 14:51

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •