Carpaccio Marinade Wanted.

martinl

As the title says.

I'm sure there is a marinade for this "dish". I know you can just roll it in cling film leave in freezer but I fancy something a bit different.

Thanks in advance.

M

The way I do it...

Take a chopping board or large flat plate. Sprinkle crushed coriander seeds, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Paint your beef, fillet is best, with a good english mustard, then roll it in the seasoning mix.

Get a non-stick pan or griddle nice and hot, and sear the beef, turning regularly, until it's browned all round.

Allow the beef to rest, before slicing as thinly as possible and serving on a salad of your choice.

I think that was on the BBC site a while ago when I was looking for a carpacchio recipe.

It should be cured not cooked. If I remember the last one I did I used a little gin and a few spices. I will see if I can find the recipe.

I did carpacchio of beef this evening, no cooking just rubbed with olive oil and pesto and chilled for 30 minutes. I then sliced and consumed with a white wine, worcester sauce, mayonayes {sp} lemon juice, dijon and seeded mustard dressing.

This was served on a bed of rocket with parmasan shavings and a drizzle of olive oil with crusty bread. Wonderful.

Has anyone done carpaccio with venison with a similar dressing or another one. I would be most interested to swap recipes.

Regards

Matthew

Yes, I used to use part of the long back muscle, stripped of sinew, chilled and machine sliced so you could read a copy of the Sporting Gazette through it!!
I used to brush the Carpacchio with a mix of light soy sauce, garlic oil and honey when it was ready to serve. I also served a little garlic mayonnaise and toasted slices of French stick.
I did this for a BASC SW Demo at the Taunton Cricket ground years ago and two old birds in the audience scoffed the lot, whilst some of the blokes there wouldn't each raw meat!!

I did carpacchio of beef this evening, no cooking just rubbed with olive oil and pesto and chilled for 30 minutes. I then sliced and consumed with a white wine, worcester sauce, mayonayes {sp} lemon juice, dijon and seeded mustard dressing.

This was served on a bed of rocket with parmasan shavings and a drizzle of olive oil with crusty bread. Wonderful.

Has anyone done carpaccio with venison with a similar dressing or another one. I would be most interested to swap recipes.

Regards

Matthew

This is a recipe I got off another site. I tried it to be honest it wasn't to my taste.

Inn my preparations for making some cured and cold smoked venison at the weekend I also lightly cured some Fallow Fillets, and tried them as a Carpaccio. The result was simply the best carpaccio I have ever eaten.

The fillets were about 10" long and 1.5" in diameter. They were trimmed of all sinew and connective tissue. They had been hung with the beast for 12 days. They weighted near bang on 250g each and I had two. This is a lot of cure for two fillets but I had a 1kg peice of sirlooin too, that went in.

The Cure:

225g Francos salt, (no AC agents)
115g Dark Sugar with molases
110g Soft light Demarera sugar
10 Juniper Berries crushed
1 Tbsp whole black pepper corns
10 bay leavves
4/5 whole cloves
3 whole bruised cloves of garlic.
Half a cup of Sloe Gin

I mixed the whole lot up in a bowl. and added the meat. It was left in the fridge for 24hrs. The Sirloin is still in for an additional 24hrs.

After 24hrs I sliced the fillets diagnaly in thin 3" slices and placed onto a layer of cling film. I then covered in another layer of cling film and rolled it until it was very thin with a wooden rolling pin.

It was put into a plate and drizzeled with olive oil, lots of lemon, black pepper and fresh parmasan shavings.

The Francos salt you can get off the sausagemaking.org site.

Back