Thoughts on Factory 308 Ammo for Red & Roe

Hi mate. I had a thread about this (you can find it here) but in a nutshell my findings are:

American eagle 150 grain FMJ (very decent grouping consistently)
Sako 123 grain soft point (very decent grouping time after time)
Sako 150 grain game point (very decent grouping most of the time)
Federal 150 grain soft point (best grouping time after time)
Winchester 150 grain soft point (got them to group reliably at the end)

My rifle is not so sure about

Sako 180 grain hammer point (not consistent in grouping well )

Now, I know that the shooter has a lot to do with grouping etc, I am just reporting my findings as I and the person helping me zero the rifle saw them. The Sako 123 grain grouped reliably first time round and kept performing well. The Federal 150 grain were amazing from the word go. I was able to put bullet on bullet at 100 metres. Very impressed! The Winchester 150 grain soft point gave me a lot of trouble. They have a mighty kick in them and probably this is why I had to shoot a fair few before I got used to them. I was finally able to shoot them very reliably. The Sako 150 grain performed well after I got used to the fact that they seem to shoot low and then climb to the target. I never thought that possible. Maybe they do not and I am imagining things... The Sako 180 grain seem to be the hardest to produce a decent group, but maybe it is my fault. I do not know. I will have to try again sometime...

165 grain Blaser Ruag CPD Partition groups sub inch in my tikka T3 and drops animals very well recovered one and it had shed 15 grains and musroomed consistantly. The bruising it does to deer are significantly less than what my .243 used to do!

Dave

For whatever reason my Steyre Pro Hunter didnt like the 150g Power Shock

123g Sako Soft Points as said above great grouping every time and ample for both Red and Roe

I've never had a problem with RWS 150gr, and PPU performs as well as anything else too. Usual caveats about what works for others does not necessarily mean it will work in your rifle.

I use PP 168 grain HPBT and Blaser 165 grain CDP; both have the same POI at 100 meters and beyond. The drop data on Blaser`s packaging does not tally with my own findings. I shoot a Blaser R93 with a Jagd Match barrel and in January, I shot from 100 to 300 meters, taking 2 shots every 50 meters. At 300 meters, the drop was 52 cm as opposed to 37.4 cm on the box. Nevertheless, very accurate ammo and I will post a photo of a bullet we retrieved from a stag; expands perfectly with alll 4 partitions opening up perfectly.

I have only used 150 gr. Federal Powershok in my new Tikka so far and have as yet not wanted to mess with success, 1" groups at 100M(could be better except for my shooting) and so far one very dead deer with one shot.

norma 150 gr b/tip sod the price dont like shooting at paper targets much anyway so one good carcase and they are payed for !:D

using the sako 123g myself now as they shoot better than my best reloads!30mm group at 200 yards with 6 shots,i do find that deer seem to stay on there feet ever so slightly longer than when they are hit than with the 150,s i have always used but they still go down fine so that isnt a critiscm just an observation and my mate usung the same agrees with me

Back