Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: brass problems

brass problems

hi all, i brought some once fired rws 243 cases. But find after a full resize, alot of cases dont fit into my rifle ie cant close the bolt.The rifle is a tikka hunter in 243 thanks biker
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

biker1

I think you need to adjust your die. Screw it in an eighth of a turn and try again with a couple of lubed cases (inside and out). If they don't fit your rifle, put them aside, screw the die in further and try a couple of fresh cases. I put a splash of Tippex on the die/lock ring to mark my starting point. Make small adjustments, but don't keep resizing the same cases, pick fresh ones each time.

Good luck. JCS

have you checked the trim length of the case? is the COAL correct? was the die set correctly? sorry if this is stating the obvious when I resize 7.5x55 I rotate the case 90 degrees to ensure the case is fully sized as my K31 is very positive about what it will and won't work with
    "Politicians must be allowed to panic. They need activity. It is their substitute for achievement"
    "'The matter is under consideration' means we have lost the file. 'The matter is under active consideration' means we are trying to find the file."

I put a simalar thread up a couple of weeks ago with a problem very much like this one. Mine was once fired federal brass and my rifle is also a Tikka M590.

I am new to reloading and set my die according to the instuctions that came with the press - Raise the ram with shell holder to the top of its stroke and then screw in the die until it touches the shell holder, lower the ram and screw in another 1/2 a turn.

Out of a batch of 50 that I trimmed and resized 23 of them chambered fine, about 10 - 12 where a little tight and the rest are really tight ?

I could not get my head round how some where ok and then others where really tight.

hi wayne, out of a hundred cases only 9 cases are tight, i have tryed adusting the die but its made no difference. also i have some sako cases, and all of them are tight and you just cant close the bolt on the rifle
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Quote Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
    have you checked the trim length of the case? is the COAL correct? was the die set correctly? sorry if this is stating the obvious when I resize 7.5x55 I rotate the case 90 degrees to ensure the case is fully sized as my K31 is very positive about what it will and won't work with
    hi kenny i sized the cases then trimmed to size adjusted the die, even tried turning them 90 degrees
    BARONY TRAINED NINJA

Are these Lee dies, and the calibre .243 in both cases?
    If I'm going to be accused of it then it's just as well I did it.

Mine are Lee dies but 22/250.

Sounds like your sizing die was not correctly adjusted in the press, or the ram didn't go all the way up.
    When correctly sized there shouldn't be any real effort to chambering & closing the bolt on a round in your rifle.

Adjust your die and give it another try. If that still doesn't work, try and borrow a full length sizing die ... RCBS or Redding to see if they cure the problem
    Last edited by deeangeo; 26-10-2011 at 21:30.
    Blaser K95 Luxus Kipplaufbüchse .25-06Rem. Zeiss 8x56, 110gn Nosler Accubond = Game Over!