Importing from the US.

jonathankent

Hi all,

As the title suggests I am after some advice about importing from the States.

I am after a new scope and I am a bit of a fan of Leupold, due to the price difference one imported from the US is roughly half the price of one here.

My question is has anyone got any experience of doing this and hopefully the name of a good company to deal with.

I am aware that anything imported could be subject to duty, I am also aware that if you have a friendly company who mark it 'gift', 'repair' or similar you can avoid this.

Some help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

ATB
Jonno

Brought in a Leupold RF and got caught for the tax last year. Also been caught for the tax on a stock but in all cases it has still been worth while just make sure when you budget for it you factor the tax in.

Dave

Brought in a Leupold RF and got caught for the tax last year. Also been caught for the tax on a stock but in all cases it has still been worth while just make sure when you budget for it you factor the tax in.

Dave
The certainties of life. Death and Taxes :rolleyes:

Better that the post stays, god save us from PC.

Gift only works if value is less than $50 good luck on a company doing that for you!

Thought I saw that the Yanks wouldn't export scopes because of the "War on Terror" - so where do the terrorists get their scopes from, mmmm must be the ones they were sold when they were Allies of ours :doh:.

Best check the site you're thinking of buying from to make sure they will/can export. If I nb rightly Optics Warehouse (UK site )won't export outside of UK

Scrun

You will incure costs at customs for import duty tax, probaly VAT and a fee to calculate the taxes in my case recently £8 + £35 import duty on a £202 knife, I know of some one who does export from US if you p.m. me I'll find details. eerwarden

I have just imported a Leupold scope from the US, forget all the old wives tales about marking this as a gift, a gift has to be sent from a private address to a private address and not excede £38.00, any decent company in the US will refuse to do this, and if it does go astray guess what your insurance is worth, you will be charged duty on the purchase price plus the shipping cost, this is 4.2%, then that sum is subject to 20% VAT, and last of all an £8.00 parcel force handling fee, best advice is to watch the prices on the likes of e-bay and amazon get to know the regular asking prices, bargains do come up from time to time, on the cheaper Leupolds, the VX1's and lower mag 40mm VX11's its not worth it the most you will save is £30.00 but on the higher price scopes you can save £150.00

Back